or Connect

Posts by haysdb

I have a 60" TV in a tiny room - roughly 10 x 10. My chair is flush against the back wall. To say this room is not ideal is an understatement but it's what I have. My biggest problem is that the room is so live that I can't understand dialog. I'm limited in the permanent changes I can make so I'm looking at acoustic panels and curtains. It doesn't have to be pretty. So, sources for heavy curtain and acoustic panels I can hang on the walls? I don't want any DIY solutions...
I tried to play The Prestige tonight but got a message on screen "Cannot Play This Disk" so I loaded the new firmware (4.30), but now it gets stuck on the "Loading" message. I tried a different bluray disk and it loaded and played, so it seems to just be a problem with this one disk.
Back log of Moxi boxes? Two months ago when I first called Charter (StL) to request a DVR, they said they were out and would not have any more until the first of the year. I called back two weeks later and they said they had received some and they fixed me up right away. I wouldn't think they would have a lot of extra boxes laying around, unless they committed to a very large order right before they decided to stop carrying the Moxi (if indeed this is true).
In fact, that is what I have been doing lately.This works too, and can be very therapeutic.
Another vote of no confidence in Charter St Louis. I get so angry at their blasted IVR (Interactice Voice Response) system that I want to throw my phone through the window. And then IF and when you reach an actual person, they are in the Philippines and just don't know what they are doing. I don't have a choice though. I'm stuck with them.
Tivo and ReplayTV pretty much have all the intellectual property related to DVR features between them. Pretty much every idea was pioneered by one of those two companies. Don't know who ended up with ReplayTV's IP, but pretty much anyone making a DVR is probably subject to lawsuits if they are not paying royalties or licensing or whatever, for the use of that IP. Of course, winning those lawsuits is another matter. Sorry, way OT.
This is a Motorola issue, but I consider it a local Cox issue so I'm going to bring it up here. All of a sudden my guide doesn't remember my settings. I keep getting EVERY channel rather than just the one's I haven't set to "Skipped." I THINK I got a software update recently, because it seems there are some new features, although it may just be stuff I never noticed before. There was supposed to be a new download that fixed the missing space issue, at least according to...
The Sony 36XS955 is ostensibly an HDTV. What that means is you can feed it an HD signal and it will display it. But you need to keep two things in mind:A 36" 4:3 TV is only 33" @16:9. The THX recommended viewing distance (36 degree viewing angle) for a screen that size is 3.7 feet. The maximum recommended SMPTE viewing distance (30 degree viewing angle) is 4.5 feet. If you are appreciably further away than that, you won't be able to fully appreciate HD programming. The...
The DVR's with HDMI are just the latest version of the DCT 6412. I believe they call them the "series III" boxes. Channel on 980 is the only one of the new channels that interests me, but I assume those are relatively low bandwidth channels, and that all of them combined might not be enough for one new HD channel. If Cox is up against the limits now, then an infrastructure upgrade is our only hope for more HD channels. Bummer. Reclaiming space once a week hasn't been...
I'm going to "argue" because I'm in a surly mood and because I rather enjoy a good debate... :-) The QAM tuner part is the real catch. A QAM tuner will only receive channels that are "in the clear." In order to pick up anything that's encrypted (which can even be some of the basic channels, unfortunately), you need a cable box that's recognized and authorized by the cable company. You can't just plug anything into the cable network and expect to receive all the channels...