or Connect

Posts by w4guy

It has been a busy year for the engineering staff that has the responsibility for three analog stations and three DTV stations. WBFS-DT and WTVX-DT are currently under construction. We expect to sign both of the new DTV stations on before the November 1 deadline. The last week of October is the expected time frame. The programming will be upconverted until the new DTV master control facilities are completed. The plan is to pass along all of the UPN and WB HD programming...
Dooooo! That's cold!
WFOR DT will be off the air some time after midnight tonight for the purpose of engineering test. This will allow WFOR engineers to tune the DTV antenna and associated transmission line. We expect everything to proceeded with out any complications. The expectation is to be back on the air by Monday morning "drive time" Best regards, w4
Mark, Our thought is no matter what decision we make with the upconverted format, there will be a good case for doing it another way. The goal is to provide the best quality picture possible. W4
Well, that's accurate and it isn't. The way the regulation reads is: If a satellite provider carries one station in a market they must carry all of them. At some point the small dish providers will have to comply with the regulation completely. With out adding bandwidth they will need to reuse some of their frequencies. Similar to the way cellular telephone and PCS technology works. The standard "conus" antenna pattern will not work for this application. Instead a...
Frank, WFOR DT has been on the air for a while now. We have had viewer reports from Miami Beach since our sign on date, May 1st. Everything that Dave reported is right on. Try tuning into 22-01 first. That should cause your receiver to remap WFOR-DT to 4-01. WFOR-DT signal strength is similar to WPBT-DT with the edge going to WFOR in most locations. Good luck w4
Quote: Originally posted by imws: ...So why are cable companies and small dish DBS firms allowed to compress as heavily as they do? The FCC needs to step in and require companies that rebroadcast stations such as Cable TV and DBS systems to rebroadcast those stations at or near the quality of the OTA signal from the respective station. Without government requirements we will soon have 2000 stations of sub-VHS level picture and sound from your friendly...
>>>I nominate Hardrock to run an AVSForum HDTV Schedule<<< What did he ever do to you? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif W4
Congratulations on your accomplishment! I'm often surprised at what viewers can accomplish when they are motivated by the right program material. Assembling an antenna in a South Florida attic in mid-September. That has to count for something! I have to wonder if a smaller antenna would have performed better. It may have allowed you more room to align it properly. Of course I'm sure you don't need someone telling you this now....
We can not verify that WFOR-DT was off of the air at all since moving to the new antenna. As many of you have guessed, WFOR has been transmitting from the new antenna since last Friday. I am happy with the signal reports many of you have provided here on the net. We are not at our final power level yet. Your readings will improve even more over the next month or two. I do not anticipate further interruptions in our signal. All of the remaining work will be completed...