or Connect

Posts by xrox

Increasing motion resolution on PDP is the same basic principle as any other display. Reduce the hold time (light emission time per unique frame). This includes interpolating, BFI, or just plain duty cycle compression.However, PDP frames have a built in dark and light period and therefore will always have to appear and disappear in a repeat frame situation. As far as duty cycle, PDP effective duty cycle is shortened by reducing the phosphor decay (new fast phosphors),...
Mark, I’m not sure what point you are trying to make with that extremely long post. What I posted about high speed cameras is correct. If the camera frame rate is higher than the refresh rate of the PDP then you will capture only partially compiled PDP frames. When you play back this video it will look like it is flickering due to repeated patterns of partial captures. Even when the camera frame rate is longer you will see blue leading flashes and green trailing...
I'm sorry but I disagree that individual subfields could ever be noticed by anyone. Temporal integration of light by the human eye prevents this. Furthermore, the phosphor decay rates fill the dark time between subfields anyway. This is all in the Panasonic literature as well as literature from other companies.Not sure how you came to this conclusion but I don't agree at all.The banding is due our eyes integrating subfield pulses along the motion vector. It is not...
I saw that graphic years ago and it is still just as confusing today as it was back then. There is no way to cluster subfields AFAIK. The actual confusing part of the graphic is that they show that all the AC pulses for all the subfields are added together and put into the last subfield period of 0.4ms. I don't think so!!!!Like I said, what is probably actually happening is the display has a motion detector that identifies the portion of the signal that is in motion. ...
Regarding flicker it is the percentage of time each frame period is bright. 100% means zero flicker.Regarding blur it is the percentage of time the frame is displayed. At 60Hz each frame period is 16ms long. 100% duty cycle would mean the frame is displayed for the entire 16ms creating tons of blur on your moving retina.
Seems right at first glance except black level is not affected and flicker would be a similar 60Hz for all cases except 100% duty. Perception of the flicker may vary with duty cycle if that is what you meant.
The FFD is not clearly explained anywhere IIRC. I'm not sure why they even use the Hz unit here. There is no way they are actually clustering subfields IMO. What they are probably doing is limiting moving portions of the screen to use only one bright subfield that is .4ms long.
It is that simple. There is only one flicker on a plasma per refresh created by the subfield weighting sequence. You are not understanding correctly. Individual subfields do not produce a percievable flicker. It is the weighted sequence that does.
I think you have come close to understanding. Each frame has 10 pulses that are in order of brightness. Pulse one is extremely dark, two is a little brighter, three is a little brighter...etc. This produces a ramp of brightness each frame. Our eyes percieve the start(bottom) of the ramp as dark and the end(top) of the ramp as bright. This is repeated each frame creating a flicker that is equal to the refresh rate.Yes, subfields x refresh rate = Subfield drive...
100% sure as it is what is in the literature. See my explanation of PDP flicker in many posts over the last 10 years. The flicker has nothing to do with PWM but rather the weight and order of subfields.