or Connect

Posts by Warren_G

Skin cancer, it sounds like he was working right until the end. Good on him for continuing to bring us all entertainment as long as he could. I always liked him, even as a serial killer on Law and Order.
I had a Pioneer Avic x940 and was very impressed with the image quality. Used it for both rearview camera and DVD playback and both were top notch. The screens on the higher quality stuff is designed to be anti-glare and viewable in sunlight. Sadly, I no longer have that vehicle any longer and am looking for a similar solution for a new truck I am planning a system in.
Temporarily turn off your subs and listen to your 6x8s alone, If moving the balance to either the left or right results in more bass, then they are out of phase. If they just sound anemic and underpowered, that may indeed be the issue, just that they are not getting enough power. what kind of deck power are you running to them? Facory deck or aftermarket? Are they mounted in doors, dash, or back of the your car? Mounted to plastic, metal, or wood? There are lots of factors...
The Thiel Small parameters are mostly influenced by physical characteristics of the sub, so should not be affected much by only using one coil. As well, shorting the terminals of the unused coil WILL have a mechanical impact on the sub, as the electrical energy created by cone movement would be damped, and that would affect T/S and reduce efficiency. Leaving them open would be electrically the same as not having the second set coil present on the sub at all. I can recall...
www.onfair.com has many models that will read USB or SD memory cards and support a few media formats. I have recently put a pair of the 9" Autotain Dream monitors in my truck, and they accept up to a 32 GB USB or 32 GB SD, as well as DVD players, and external video inputs. The price is reasonable and the picture looks great.
I have installed a WD TV Live in my truck, which will do what you are asking for. The advantages are that it is 12 volt, so no mods for power were required. Also, it plays every format, no conversion ever required as I have not found a format that it wont play right out of the box. They are cheap and readily available, and with wireless, I could even do online streaming services by using my phone or ipad as mobile hotspot.
You only need to use one coil on each sub, then run them in parallel and you will have a 2 ohm load. The second voice coil has two purposes; to allow flexibility in the impedance that you present to the amp, and to be able bridge a non-bridgeable amp to sum a stereo signal into mono. Using only a single coil will not affect any spec of the sub other than how much power you could put to it if the coils were in series. In parallel, they have the same power handling....
I recently bought a new (used) truck, and decided that I have not had a high quality car stereo since I was in my 20s, so I spent a little time and money putting together a clean, stealthy system in a 2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax. Have a look at my install photos over on Tundratalk.net and let me know what you think. I will post some more pics showing some of the capabilities of the media system as I have put in 9" headrest monitors and WD TV Live media player to be able to...
WD TV Live, I am not even sure why there are still other options on the market because these are the simplest, most reliable way to play every format out there, and the price is right. Now that the latest ones have wireless built in, they really are the perfect device to play content in a distributed home network. I have 2 in my house, and even one in my truck, They play everything I have ever thrown at them.
This sounds like it is a case of the room being the culprit, which is often the case when switching out all or most of the gear and not getting the desired result. If your room has nulls, reflections, bright spots, etc, then all the equalization, or gear swapping you do may not allow you to reach the results you are looking for. A good question is; Have you ever experienced a home theater that you were happy with? If so, what were the characteristics that you feel you are...