or Connect

Posts by Bigus

I wouldn't expect power compression effects to be a big player for ob as the power requirements to move an lf driver to full excursion in free air are modest, coupled with typically good convective cooling in an ob alignment. Excursion limits, not power or thermal effects, are your enemy.
I'd love to read more about that. Happen to have a link or know where these tests were documented?
Had a guest conductor once who just made whirly bird motions over his head, and not necessarily in sync with the music. And was also prone to stopping his "conducting" for short periods just to listen. His motion to cut us off was similar to but supposedly a little different from these normal whirly birds. We were quite confused the first day... stopping when he was just listening, continuing to play when he wanted us to stop. After the first day, we just kept playing...
Thanks for the explanation jn. As always, but hopefully not always just in a knee jerk way, the natural question forming in my mind is "can we prove audibility of such phenomenon?" Especially in cases like you made, where there is a clear logic path from known principles, to predicted possible problems, to measured effects, it is out of curiosity that I would love to see such tests. Discovery of audible phenomenon would help promote the address and correction of such...
Impact as in reduce/eliminate hum, or impact as in deepen the soundstage and add more space between instruments in the recording, improving bass definition and locking in the timing and rhythm...Just to make sure we're on the same page, and keep people from inadvertently wandering too deep into the forest.
OB sets out to address a very specific problem: uncontrolled directivity in conventional speakers. Briefly, this refers to a typical box speaker radiating sound in all directions at low frequencies and only radiating sound forward at high frequencies. You hear more than just the direct, forward radiated sound. You hear the contribution from room reflections as well. If those reflections from side walls, front wall etc do not have similar frequency response to the direct...
Some odd information re dipoles continues to seep into the discussion. But whatever... the great part about DIY is that you can build and then measure and listen for yourself.
Its worth noting that adding horn flared baffles to an open baffle will result in asymmetric front and rear lobes. Power response might be usable, but lots of careful measuring is in order.
A bit of misinformation being tossed out in this thread. Compared to monopoles, dipoles radiate a greater percentage of total sound as direct to listener. The backwave is still less sound than the indirect sound radiated by monopoles, and thus dipoles tend to be less room dependent, not more. As for absorbing the backwave, if felt necessary, monopoles emit equally strong backwave in the lower frequencies that are difficult to absorb. Dipoles emit more rear mid and high...
More excursion to produce the same spl... because of slightly lower SD?