or Connect

Posts by R Harkness

Yes, that's really the point. Of course that speaker could no doubt have been designed, constructed and sold for a completely sane price, putting out just as good sound. But having experienced so many way out boutique speakers with crazy price tags that sounded worse than mid-fi, it was fun in this case to have our expectations contradicted. I remember reviewing some Shun Mook speakers...the paradigm case of flooby-dust products and the LAST guys I would ever have...
I do indeed watch movies in a "black velvet box" and still benefit from masking because the black levels of the JVC are not truly black, and this can even be exacerbated in a "bat cave" situation where the projected black bars(and other projected black areas) of the image are contrasted against the pitch dark surroundings. So even in low APL images (little to no light reflection wash out) the difference between pitch black masking and the projected black bars.
Funny thing: My friend reviews high end audio gear (though is very dismissive about most of it), so he regularly has crazy gear coming through his house. He had similar glass-enclosure speakers froma company called CrystalCable who also produced outrageously expensive cables - their speakers were supplied with a pair of speaker cables that cost, as I remember, $18,000. (The speaker itself was much more money).We tested the cables against cheap copper cables - when we...
Have you ever heard the MBL omnidirectional speakers?Yes they are absurdly expensive (as well as the rest of the MBL products). But in this case at least it is a decidedly different approach, and a fascinating solution to an engineering challenge (omnidirectional radiator). The shiny carbon drivers - "petals" - that form the bulbs are flexed by the black disc motors between them, to create the sound.At several high fi shows long ago I'd never heard anything sound so much...
Sounds good.Replacing the Darblet with the Lumagen 2041 VP fixed it for me, and I still get Darbee processing. I also prefer the Darbee processing from the Lumagen vs the Darblet. Apparently testing by Lumagen (and others) showed that the Darbee processing is best applied to the source before further scaling processing, vs at the end of the chain, as you'd get employing the Darblet. I do indeed find the Darbee processing to be finer and more naturallooking via the...
I enjoy the pop-out effect in 3D. It's one of the things that make 3D worthwhile IMO because when it's only used to increase depth back into the frame you start to forget about it to the point it doesn't seem to have much impact. As Kris notes, one tends to forget about it: 2D already has a lot of depth cues, all of them starting from the screen surface backward, so adding 3D depth to it doesn't always make a large experiential difference. It's breaking the screen...
I know, I know. Obviously that was being cheeky. It's just that the Darblets have so often been the source (or exacerbation of) HDMI handshake issues.My weird handshake issues and audio drop outs only disappeared when I got rid of my Darblet in the chain (didn't matter where I placed it in my chain).I'm far from the only one.
New rule for checking handshake issues: It's always the Darbee.
Aaahh...thanks!
I'm glad these comparisons are being done. My only issue are the screen-shot image sizes. The file sizes are too small for me to easily discern differences in detail. Could you post larger images in the future? Cheers,