or Connect

Posts by KingFeta

Thanks for the advice. So a modified "scenario 3" is the best option. Get an AVR for the bedroom, build another cheap HTPC to put behind it, and use HDBaseT extenders from the two AVRs into each room...correct? Must I wire the room for speakers or is that just future proofing? 5.1 in the MBR has a low wife approval factor... I assume the built in IR control from the HDBaseT extenders will be able to blast all my IR commands to the AVRs and the sources behind them?
Some hardcore "first world problems" in this thread. Building a house and the A/V installers are running multiple(4) solid core Cat6 UTP to my Living Room and Master BR. They're also running two Cat6 UTP to the two spare(i.e. unborn kids) bedrooms upstairs. Not too concerned with those just yet. I need to figure out the end pieces for the LR and MBR soon. Requirements: 1. Centralized location in basement for A/V equipment(Comcast DVRs, Receivers, HTPCs, etc). Nothing in...
After doing a little more reading, it seems it's hotly debated on how to terminate solid cat6 cables. Any opinions on if a patch panel is overkill for a home installation when using solid core Ethernet(as opposed to directly into a switch)? Even if I were to use a patch panel, how would the IP cams on the other end be terminated? Keystone to stranded? Seems like more variables to break/screw up using patch panels. I'm new to this though...
Wiring a house for IP cams, home networking, and an HDMI video matrix. Everything will be fed into one rack mounted switch. Eventually I'll be at 4k/60fps(hdmi 2.0) for my video and I see that as the biggest bandwidth user. Cat6a shielded is huge and seems tough to work with. I believe it also requires shielded connectors. Can I get away with Cat6 unshielded and still have plenty of "pipe" left for my video AND not have to worry about crosstalk? The run will be less than...
I've read that HdBaseT can handle 4K resolutions, but I don't see the 4K specs talked about in the manufacturer's websites. Are we waiting on new chips to come out, new firmware upgrades, or is it implied to be able to handle 4K based on the HdBaseT support? I have to purchase a matrix soon and I possibly will have 4K TVs...bad time to buy?
I originally wanted to use a Power Over Ethernet camera for my security gate, but the max distance seems to be about 300ft which won't work in my case. How can I get video back to my house at that distance(800ft)? Can I use coax and convert it back to ethernet? Fiber(expensive though)? Thanks.
I believe XBMC has been ported to Android and runs on the Pivos box. After reading above that the Google TV's are switching to ARM processors from x86...is it safe to say XBMC will make its way onto a googleTV sooner than later? I'm just not familiar enough with the chips mentioned above and if they can handle the "high" bitrate mkvs.
Ok, I understand the redundancy needs of running multiple Cat6 drops instead of just one or two. At what point/number does it become ridiculous to run a huge amount of drops? For example, in the living room I'll probably need and actually use 8 Cat6 connections(TV, receiver, HTPC, SONOS, XBOX, cable box, and a few for IP-to-IR boxes for HA use). Money aside, would it be crazy to run ~10 Cat6 drops to one room instead of a couple and use one in a switch in that room?
I guess the real reason I'm even asking this is because I'm struggling to find a complete list of devices that are IP or RS232 controlled and if they are...which front end solutions support them in their software. I see various companies claiming to control almost all hardware, but most do not elaborate by which means they control them which makes it difficult to plan ahead in purchasing A/V equipment and committing to a HA solution. I feel a true front-end/interface home...
Do these have the power to run high bitrate mkv's that the Pivos boxes and some Dune boxes choke on? This seems like a cleaner/cheaper option to run XBMC on instead of building an HTPC.