or Connect

Posts by John Schuermann

Don't worry about projection. In fact, don't be surprised if projection is the first technology able to deliver the full promise of DolbyVision. Laser projectors already heading to market will be capable of the high brightness and color gamut requirements of DV. Of course, initial units will be quite expensive.
Just keep in mind that Side by Side was released two years ago (which means it was actually shot 3 years ago). Digital has changed pretty dramatically in that period of time. That may sound silly, but it's true.FWIW I was at the Hollywood Post Alliance retreat last month in Palm Springs, and dynamic range was the talk of the show. Film has excellent dynamic range - more than we have ever seen projected due to limitations in projector technology. High Dynamic Range...
Hi Mark -True enough about 2K not cutting it on screens that big, but 4K should definitely do the trick. I thought I would share this info from the Digital Cinema Society, about a controlled shootout between 70mm IMAX and 4K digital. There was also a rather large study done a few years back that actually measured the resolution of projected 35mm film, at state of the art theaters using premium quality prints. I thought some of the folks here on this forum might enjoy...
Thanks for responding here, John. I will check with Russell. I consult for Panamorph these days, so am hardly ever actually in the office. I always like to get to the bottom of these things and determine exactly what the causes are. The result is a better product
The MFE/DCE process can use either the full 256 levels or limited levels of an 8-bit value, dependent upon the desired implementation by content producers and how they want to fit within standards. It does not need to use values above and below such limited levels for extra information. Obviously the more values that can be used by both the image and the extra information, the better the resultant image can become. But generally the approach is 1:1 – if the image is...
Got it. IIRC you've got a really dark room so the extra real estate on the screen is probably very hard to see with the lights off. Most people have lighter colored rooms, and in those situations the pillarbox bars become quite ovbvious due to light spill. Many times people doing Super Bowl parties leave some lights on drawing attention to empty screen space even more.Sounds like you understand "the art of the demo."
A question - are they drunk sports fans?
It bothers me too. I want the film to be presented with correct geometry.However -When you say people are used to the HD ratio, my experience is directly the opposite. Based upon all of my experience doing trainings on this subject, plus attending trade shows and doing consumer demos (about 6 years now), what I have found is that people have no concept of the different ratios unless you do a "before and after" or "side by side" demo. Early on, we used to use just a...
Maybe Russell needs to exchange his friends for yours I've never heard the complaint myself, but then again, I have a masking screen, so when people see 16:9 they aren't as painfully aware of the "unused space" as they are with Russell's non masked screen.But what I said still stands, as far as the feedback we get from dealers, end users, and screen manufacturers. I am not exaggerating when I state that the overwhelming preference reported back to us is to fill the whole...
Actually, we had exactly what you are proposing as a major part of the original MFE pitch to the studios. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) the studio response was negative. They want to keep Blu-ray as the most accurate and highest fidelity delivery media when it comes to delivering the artistic intent of the filmmakers, and building in "pan and scan" goes directly against that philosophy.