or Connect

Posts by JimboG

No backward comparability, no 3D Blu-ray playback, no killer launch titles, and not even MP3 support?? (I prefer greater-than-CD bit rate flac, but WTF Sony, no MP3 playback?)I had an Xbone on pre-order with Amazon, then saw the dramatically more favorable E3 presentation from Sony versus Microsoft. Xbone pre-order cancelled, PS4 pre-ordered to replace my PS3. Now I'm pretty let down that the PS4 can't replace the PS3. I'm cool with the digital downloads from PSN and I...
Well hell, if we're allowed to put forth games that are neither easy nor likely the I'd like to see an HD remake of Donkey Kong 64. I can still hear the silly music from this Rare classic!!
I am disappointed that Netflix is cropping its streaming movies (and often so poorly!). What disappoints me even more is how often Netflix chooses not to carry the Blu-ray version of an available movie. Fantasia and Fantasia 2000, The Ten Commandments, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc. I realize that these aren't the latest and greatest summer blockbusters, but they've survived for decades for a reason. I think it's pretty unlikely that the latest rehash of Total Recall or...
To amplify what TylerSC just said, one of the best arguments in favor of lifetime service on a TiVo is salvage value. You could pay a monthly fee to TiVo and have nothing to show for it after several years. Or you could pay a few hundred bucks upfront to be paid in full and never worry about a monthly fee again for that device. Better still, product lifetime service is transferable when you sell your TiVo, so you can recoup much of the purchase price when the (hopefully...
Pre-ordered this morning at work. Saw the announcement about the price and DRM on PS4 this evening, cancelled my Xbox One pre-order and pre-ordered the PS4 instead. I bought an original Xbox on launch day. I bought an Xbox 360 and endured the red ring of death. So far I'm just not seeing an exclusive on Xbox One that is worth their consumer-hostile policies. Ugh.
Why on Earth would you purchase a soundbar instead of a pair of bookshelf stereo speakers? Is there any reason other than aesthetics to purchase a soundbar? I get that this form-factor might be useful for a center channel speaker. However, we have two ears and proper stereo audio reproduction can create an awful lot of the "surround" or 3d sound-field that users seek with a 3.1, 5.1, 7.1, or 9.2 setup. I would argue that well done two channel sound is more accurate and...
Yep, the decision to change the invaders from Chinese to North Koreans was ridiculous. Just how many movie tickets did they sell in China to warrant this change? That said, the original Red Dawn was terribly cheesy, but pretty significant in an era of NATO vs. Warsaw Pact that had everyone on edge. As Star56 says, we lost in Vietnam and the Soviets got their asses handed to them in the occupation of Afghanistan. The question of what to do while invading and...
I have the exact same TV and the exact same flicker when playing back 24p content at 48 Hz. Unfortunately, the best solution (for me) was to switch back to 1080p60. A little bit of judder on the credits was far preferable to annoying flickering on bright scenes. (The white scene with Luxo at the start of a Pixar Blu-ray is especially egregious.)
Good lord, just get a decent pair of bookshelf speakers. Place them further apart and you'll get proper stereo separation, even if you won't get the full audio immersion and deep bass extension of a dedicated 9.2 or higher system. The idea that you need a single bar mounted below the garish LCD panel to fit in with the aesthetics of the room is ridiculous. Interior decorating doesn't trump physics.
I probably will pick up a Wii U at launch; I'm willing to spend up to $249 for it. I really look forward to the new Wii U just for the convenience of HDMI and finally getting digital sound from a Nintendo system. I wish that the Wii U maintained GameCube backward compatibility and I'm really disappointed that the new box won't have Dolphin level upscaling for older games. I like Nintendo's first party efforts, but I don't like Ubisoft. Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 are...