or Connect

Posts by Radiophile

FWIW: I used TMT3 (161) to play back AnyDVD HD folder rips of Moon and Zombieland with no problems. Video card is ATI 4650 with 9.11 driver. Using Windows 7 (not MCE).
Hi Luis! You sold me my LS-6s, which I am still really enjoying. I hope things improve for you soon. I don't know about the X-Fi Prelude, but I have the X-Fi Elite Pro sound card (op amps changed to LM4562) and think it sounds excellent. I haven't had a regular CD player in my system for years now, but can't image a better sound than what I'm getting from my HTPC with this sound card. Or perhaps I can. I may be suffering from a slight case of "upgradeitis." I've had the...
It seems like there's no rhyme or reason for which discs give people problems. I have now rented Mad Men Season 2 disc 2 and disc 3 -- both play fine in both my GGC-H20L drives. (Dare I say it -- the only thing I conclude from all this is that the Blu-ray format is not yet ready to come out of the lab. Too bad it's already being foisted on consumers so we can beta test it. Oops... almost started a rant, there. )
It seems that Blu-ray is too new a format to have its standardization issues fully worked out. There is something about this particular BD that the LG drive just doesn't understand. The solution, for me, is that I am going to replace one of my two GGC-H20L drives with another brand drive. That will dramatically increase the chances that one or the other drive will play a problem disc. Now, if I could only decide which one to get. BTW I have the Mad Men Season 2 disc 2 BD...
I believe firmware 1.03 is the most recent (and maybe the last, since the drive is no longer a current product) firmware release for the GGC-H20L. Thanks JediFonger, but one of my drives has 1.03, and it didn't recognize the disc same as the other drive that has firmware 1.00.
Thanks for your report. How strange, then, that I had this problem with two different copies of the drive and two different copies of the disc. It must be something else on my PC then, but I can't imagine what would cause only this disc to not work, and all other BDs play fine. And it wouldn't matter what BD-playback software I was using - the disc was not even recognized as present in the drive by the OS - "no disc in drive" or something similar was the error message when...
My HTPC has two LG GGC-H20L drives installed. I rent lots of Blu-ray discs from Netflix in addition to buying some, and I've never had a problem until the Mad Men Season 2 disc 1 BD. My copy from Netflix wouldn't play at all. In fact, the drive didn't even recognize the disc and acted like it was empty. The other LG drive behaved the same way with this disc. The disc looked perfect, but I ordered a replacement from Netflix anyway. The replacement disc is also not...
My W7 preorder from Newegg came right on time - Friday Oct 23 I think. My three W7 preorders from Amazon came right on time too. (I ordered from both Newegg and Amazon because Newegg had a quantity limit of 1, and I wanted more.) I use Newegg all the time, and I have found that as long as you can stay with their automated systems (ordering, RMAs, whatever) they're great. I recently had an issue that required extra handling, and Newegg's customer support failed...
Sounds like you're talking about "auto dimming" of the backlight. Sony TVs are notorious for this and there are several threads about it on this forum - do a search for the word dimming and you should find them. I returned a Sony six months ago because of this problem, bought a different brand and never looked back. I realize you don't have this option. Sony doesn't consider auto dimming a problem - it's a "feature" that makes blacks look better to the average Joe...
Same here. Two Vista PCs that had previously had their Vista partitions restored with Acronis 11 upgraded to SP2 without problem.