or Connect

Posts by comomolo

I just came across this: http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/evolve-hdmi-multi-channel-dac/ I'm using an Asus Essence card inside the HTPC itself and I'd say it's just perfect (most reviewers agree), but if for any reason you must go the external route, the Evolve DAC at USD250 looks like an interesting proposal.
I also think VDPAU is the implementation of PureVideo on Linux. Thank you for these links. I knew about the Wikipedia ones, but that from Nvidia seems like the one to read carefully.
- Crashes are frequent enough to consider it "unstable". Maybe it's twice a week, maybe twice a day. (I'm using Windows 7 32 bit). My build must work like a set top box. XBMC on Windows isn't up to that task. I have yet to check it on Linux though.- Pausing and un-pausing doesn't work properly. I always get a few seconds of accelerated video after un-pausing.- Getting the list of videos or music updated is random. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.- Youtube is...
What do you mean by "the above forum"? Nvidia's? I've contacted the mpv developers. They basically told me to RTFM and showed zero interest/knowledge about what madVR is capable of (I'm simply astounded by the indolence on the Linux world when it comes to getting the best PQ out of an HTPC). mpv, mplayer, mplayer2, VLC and probably every Linux player out there -except XBMC- won't switch the display's refresh rate acording to the material's frame rate. It seems most...
OK, I'll ask at the nvidia forums. But basically what you're saying is that what madVR does is nowadays being done by the graphics driver itself, right? I wonder why it isn't deprecated and still recommended everywhere as the reference renderer? Obviously, the quality isn't comparable when it comes to upscaling/upsampling. I also must understand no "software" renderer (read: not-in-the-driver; I know madVR uses openGL in the graphics card, though that's obviously a...
@quantumstate: If you have nothing helpful to say, I kindly ask you to stop replying to this thread. I don't mind silly comments once in a while, but insisting in such an attitude is only adding noise. You're not helping and aren't being funny either. I'm pretty sure you have more interesting things to do than annoying people in a forum. @sysadmin: Thank you very much for your reply. I didn't know the different roles of ffmpeg and the players. If I understand correctly,...
Thanks everyone for the posts and especially Dark_Slayer for the pictures. I agree the differences are subtle. Taking into account we're staring at still pictures, I can imagine it will be negligible in moving pictures. Frame interpolation/motion smoothing is not interesting to me at all. I count on using proper displays capable of playing the most used video frequencies adequately. I do, however, easily see lots of banding in blurays and HDTV and I do need the best...
Thank you for your contribution. I do hope however that some people here are beyond the OS wars and are willing to take a purely technical view at it. I'm hoping that Linux is capable of objectively producing the same PQ than Windows. I just want to hear the experience from people who have tried both and compared them extensively. I'd love to hear from them.
I read everywhere that madVR is the pinnacle of picture quality coming out of a Windows HTPC. But for the life of me, I can't find any discussion about the differences between madVR and the top quality Linux video renderer, which by the way I also can't find which it is. Maybe it's everywhere and I'm not using the right search words (English is not my native language). I just can't find anything about it. Is no one interested in the PQ differences between a Windows and a...
No matter which software I try, it's almost impossible to get smooth playback of 1080p files (BluRay rips on MKV most of the time, but the source seems irrelevant; it happens with any 1080p material). I'd say Total Theater 5 gives me the best results, but it force-switches my plasma to 60p, when it's capable of playing 24p material just fine. I can see the pulldown and don't like it I can get perfect playback with a cheap bluray player. Why can't I get that with a...