or Connect

Posts by Ethan Winer

No, you don't need to use Excel to measure your room. But since you're a GIK customer, you should take advantage of their technical assistance by phone or email. I'm sure they can walk you through using the Room EQ Wizard software.--Ethan
Yes, thin absorption on the front wall is common, and it's totally the wrong approach. It's so common to see people do and recommend that, I wrote an article to explain why it's not useful:Front Wall AbsorptionNow, thick absorption all over the front (and rear) walls is good. But it has to be thick enough to absorb bass frequencies.I didn't notice any absorption specs, but that sort of cotton generally is known to be effective. Though it needs to be much thicker than two...
If a powered speaker breaks, you can get it fixed or replace just that one speaker. There are many advantages to powered speakers that, to me, outweigh any perceived future disadvantage. The quote below is from my Audio Expert book.--Ethan
The only way to know for sure where is best for a subwoofer is to measure your room as you experiment:Room Measuring PrimerGenerally, integrating the sub properly will be better than sticking it in the back of the room, even if that sounds subjectively better initially. Room measuring software will also help you balance the volume levels between all the speakers including the sub.Just as important is having bass traps and other acoustic treatment. This short article is...
I recently bought a pair of Presonus Eris speakers for my wife's iMac and they're great:https://www.presonus.com/products/ErisWe got the 5-inch model that runs about $300 per pair. Since they have built-in power amps, nothing else is needed.--Ethan
I agree that kamiraa hasn't been overly rude, though this is pretty close:I also agree there's no need for us to be rude to him. But I still haven't seen any evidence to back up his original claim that I questioned:To me, "help" means the audio quality is improved somehow. Standard outlets are perfectly adequate for passing the amounts of current typical audio gear requires. Toaster ovens and microwaves can draw 10 amps or more, so if they work when plugged into a standard...
Right you are, that's even simpler and cheaper than a mixer as I suggested.--Ethan
I noticed. You can always tell when someone is full of it when they have to resort to insults.If you have any evidence that cryo treatment or "coatings" actually improve audio fidelity by an audible amount, this is your last chance to present it. --Ethan
Yes, you need a small line-level mixer. --Ethan
You don't seem to understand how to distinguish things that affects fidelity from things that do not. Current capability and impedance etc might or might not affect fidelity. For example, a change of 0.01 ohms in a circuit feeding an 8 ohm loudspeaker is of no consequence. So unless you can show how fidelity is affected by cryo treatment, you have established nothing useful. Personally I don't care what you believe, but I'd hate for others to believe that cryo treatment or...