or Connect

Posts by sneals2000

This side of the pond HDTVs are sold with DVB-T/T2/C (OTA/Cable) tuners - and many also have DVB-S/S2 tuners for satellite. In some cases these are for free-to-air unencrypted broadcasts, but often you can also buy (or be provided with) a Conditional Access Module (CAM) - a bit like the ill-fated US Cablecard - to slot in a mandated CI (Common Interface) slot to allow you to watch subscription TV (OTA, Cable and/or satellite). Not all platforms offer this - but many do.
There were also number of 1024x720 and 1024x768 plasmas - and they used non-square pixels.Some ALiS models used some clever line pairing to deliver native interlaced images by cropping the 1920x1080 image to 1920x1024 and discarding 28 lines at the top and bottom of frame, whilst resampling the 1920 horizontal samples to 1024. My understanding is that the 1024 lines were effectively paired to deliver 512 line fields (rather than 540) and by alternating the pairings you...
The Elgato and Hauppauge devices are identical hardware - I have the Elgato model and have used it extensively with my OSX (EyeTV), Windows (Media Center) and Linux (TV Headend). OSX and Windows have diversity support (though whilst it's quite tricky to find the diversity driver software for Windows, under OSX EyeTV is trivial to set it up) As you say - no Linux drivers support diversity with these products, they just appear as dual tuner devices. To be honest, these...
Yep - and there were some countries, like the UK, which were such early adopters of DVB-T that the less-robust 2K modulation scheme was initially used rather than the more-robust 8k one, because early DVB-T set-top box silicon was 2k only. The UK only finally switched fully to 8k DVB-T with analogue switch-off 2 years ago, and other changes in the UK SD DVB-T model has rendered early receivers obsolete - so it hasn't been perfect. VHF is traditionally less important than...
Yep - OFDM is pretty much universal outside the US, Canada, Mexico and South Korea (and a few other small countries). Almost everywhere else in the world went DVB-T or ISDB-T (both OFDM) for their first gen digital TV systems, and some are now either transition to, or launching their first services using, DVB-T2 (also OFDM but with more efficient modulation). AIUI South Korea are trialling DVB-T2 for 4K, though I think there may be even further improvements that can be...
Any comment I want to make on this would be moderated out of existence.No comment.
When you say RGB - do you mean VGA 15-way sub-mini or Component (which some people in the US call RGB because the RCA Phonos are Red, Green and Blue coloured)? if you mean VGA - then you may have an issue. Your camera appears to output mixed-syncs (which is what the SYNC) output is likely to be, whereas the VGA standard spec requires separate H and V syncs (i.e. the SYNC signal to be separated into two different signals). Some VGA monitors may accept mixed syncs - but...
Not sure I see the revelance of quoting the gender of the station chief...
AIUI the BBC are trialling some 4K acquisition at the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games (Canadians will have more of an idea of these than those from the US I guess). From what I hear BBC R&D are using it as a test bed for a number of new technologies, including a 4K Wireless camera, and some IP-based live production systems. I guess the latter is building on their "Stagebox" system that takes an HD-SDI signal and compresses it to AVC Intra 100, for carriage over standard...
Is the US using Ka band for satellite broadcasting to homes yet? Or is it still mainly Ku (with C band for distribution/backhaul)? That appears to be another area of bandwidth for broadcasting to homes, albeit one that requires new LNBs. Irelands Saorsat subscription-free satellite service s using Ka band I believe : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saorsat They are using a spot-beam tightly aimed at Ireland, with another spot using the same frequencies pointed at France...