or Connect

Posts by Kevin C Brown

Hey all. Just got my 8801 after having used the AV7005 for about a year and a half. I powered up the 8801 and ... no HDMI video is to be found. I've already tried power cycling the 8801 and my plasma and still a no go. Now here's the odd thing. I have a Panasonic TH-50PH10UK pro plasma with a 2-input HDMI card. The other HDMI input isn't working either. (I tried direct with the Oppo 983H I keep on hand for non-region 1 DVDs. ) The 8801 being fed by my Oppo...
Low frequency content takes up a lot less digital bandwidth than high frequency material.
Just finished the thread. I didn't realize that the 5509 had only been available in the US for about the last 6 months. Seems like Onkyo/Integra was fairly successful in driving people who couldn't wait to the 80.3. And now the 5510 is on the horizon. Funny. But I really only care about XT32 too. I need to look at the last 6 months of the 80.3 thread now ...
Awesome. Thanks guys. Bill - I was wondering which way you went. I am reading this thread from the beg and saw that you were looking into this one. And I know you had looked at Denon/Marantz at one point, and then I checked your signature and saw that you indeed did get XT32 with a Denon 4311. I just can't get past buying an AVR and not using its amps. I joked to a friend once, that I just can't pay less ... for more! But if I'm not going to use that "more"...
I'll probably try and read this whole thread over the next little while, but some questions for the experts out there in the meantime: a) Where is the 5509 manufactured? China, or possibly still Japan? (My AV7005 was made in Japan, and I do like that about it.) b) I've heard that it's difficult to upgrade the f/w of Onkyo gear, is that still true? For the AV7005, I just temporarily hook up an ethernet cable to my router, and it has an upgrade option within the menu...
I posted something similar in the 80.3 thread, but basically I'm interested in getting Audyssey XT32, but the 8801 even discounted is too much to pay IMO. Anyone with a good cheap price for a new SC5509? Please PM me!
Hi everyone. I have a Marantz AV7005 now, and while the natural choice for me should be the 8801 to get XT 32, I'm unhappy with the jump in price, even with the discount I can get. I know we can't talk about price here, but if anyone has a good source for a discounted (new) 80.3, I'm all (ahem) ears via PM. TIA.
This is what I do. I don't use internet/streaming/anything other than just connecting for f/w checks/updates.
Anyone know if the DVD is any different?
So if you had "great" sound with the 2 crappy Sony receivers, why did you eventually change to the Marantz AV7005?Hmmm?Not because you thought you'd get even better sound with room EQ?Hmmm?BTW, I 100% agree with M. Zillch that there aren't large audio differences between most modern electronics. However, the room matters. And speakers matter. And room EQ can most certainly help improve most rooms.And in case you missed it, I only have a Radio Shack meter. I also...