or Connect

Posts by Mupi

There is nothing set on stone about what topic to discuss. Some people are trying to figure out whether to use an amp with the Klipsch speakers and everything discussed has been appropriate and educative. There is always going to be some digression in any thread and there is always going to be difference of opinion. It is not like we are discussing about the Miss USA pageant here for people to get all upset. As long as the mods are not jumping in to restore sanity to...
Yeah CD players also output 2V but the pre-out from an AVR is not going to be 2V. When the AVR spec says 1V as pre-out, I presume it is the max output the AVR can produce. There was a review of Yamaha RX-V2400 where the reviewer measured 1.2V just before clipping. A Marantz AVR measured some 6V!! Don't recall the model.I guess you could take the output of a CD player and use it directly with an integrated amp if the CD player has volume control. Int. amps generally have...
Don't feel bad that you don't have those high quality pre-pros. I have checked the specs of the high end Integra pre-pro and guess what same 1.2V peak pre-out voltage.I am yet to see any reviewer measure 6-9V as claimed by Emotiva of their pre-amp. Even if I get 3V at say half the volume, I can get full power from pretty much any amp on this planet. But the problem is there isn't much processing on these analog pre-amps i.e no room correction, limited bass management...
The question is how do you get 100W of effortless power using an AVR as a pre-pro that barely gives 0.6V of effortless voltage at the pre-outs
Sure it only takes 1V but the question is can any AVR really give 1V at the pre-out with low distortion. This has been my main point of view. The 1-1.2V spec on any AVR is at max volume. The AVR may clip sooner than that or if it gives 1V it may be full of distortion. How many reviews really measure the AVR pre-out along with distortion?The key is to get a high voltage output at the AVR pre-outs with low distortion. Otherwise the amp is just magnifying an input full of...
http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/amplifier-voltage-gain I had an argument like the one I wrote above with the guy from WIRED 4 SOUND a few years back. They had the wrong sensitivity for their 1000 WPC amp as some 1.5V on their web site. I thought of getting that amp to drive my Magnepan MG12's. Because even if I am feeding some 0.6V from my AVR, it would have been more than what I would have gotten from my Rotel Rb-1080. That number seemed too...
Also keep in mind that the difference between 100W and 200W is not a whole lot when you compare the increase in the volume or loudness that you get when you double the power.
The WPC of the amp is not the output you are always going to get. The amp like WIRED 4 SOUND could be rated as 1000 WPC but you also have to feed it 2.8V (input sensitivity) to get that 1000WPC based on its gain. If you feed it like 0.6V (mostly from an AVR at moderate volume with low distortion), then you are only getting a fraction of the full power. That may still be plenty compared to the power of AVR. But that amp also costs like $2000. If the amp is rated at some 200...
BTW an amp is not going to make the sound different. it just makes things louder and at higher volumes the distortion will be less if you feed distortion free input voltage. In other words there is no coloration added to the sound. If you feed enough distortion free voltage, you get enough distortion free output. People equate louder as better sound. It is better as it is distortion free, provided the input voltage is also distortion free. Garbage in, amplified garbage...
Sure but if you dont provide the amp enough voltage, you are not going to get much out of it. That was my main point. With an AVR as a pre-out, you are not going to be providing high distortion free voltage (from the pre-outs) to the amp and so you are not going to be generating that head room you need. Emotiva amps are very unusual to have a gain of 32 (not DB). Most amp only have a gain of 27-28 which is not a lot considering the fact that the pre-out voltage of the...