or Connect

Posts by S-dogg

Thank you for the replies aka and frumper. I'm actually a little surprised - I haven't seen much love for the Prestige on other boards when compared to the Ecobee. That's part of the reason I was leaning toward Ecobee. But I do really like the Prestige, especially now that it can connect to the internet, which is why it's still in the running. Since you're both familiar with the Prestige, can I ask a few questions? - What is the diagonal size of the touchscreen? ...
I'm in the market for a new IP thermostat, but I'm having trouble deciding which way to go. I currently have the Filtrete 3M-50, which I would consider a "budget" IP thermostat. I love having remote access, but I'm fed up with the operation of this tstat (I won't go into the details - that's a rant for another thread). I've narrowed down the replacement options to two - the Honeywell Prestige HD with Redlink Gateway, and the Ecobee. There seem to be pros and cons for...
My main system consists of an Xbox 360 (slim), PS3 (fat), Wii, Sony Blu-Ray player, Denon 4310 receiver, a Polk powered sub (about 250 watts RMS, I think), and currently, a Vizio 42 inch CCFL LCD. I'll be upgrading to a 55 inch LCD around Super Bowl time, but if I go LED, the power requirements should be similar to the existing set. Obviously the sub doesn't need to be on the UPS, and the receiver probably doesn't either - just surge. I'm thinking I need a unit with at...
I've seen that price on the J10 - it's one of the reasons I'm interested in it. But I'm really impressed by the price of that S10. Wish it was in black, but it's hard to complain at that price...
I've thought about this, since I have a Tivo on a PC-grade UPS in another room and haven't had any problems. But I'm concerned about the filtering. PCs and servers are EMI nightmares, so top-notch filtering might not be necessary. Dedicated CE units may do a little better with this. But at the end of the day, if a CE unit won't fit the bill, I'm willing to look elsewhere. Can you recommend any specific units to look at? Are you using pure sine wave output models?
This is exactly what I was concerned with. I have my HTPC on a dedicated UPS to keep it recording through an outage, but I could see problems with running multiple game consoles at once. I used to do this a lot before we had background downloading on the PS3, but there are other times that this happens. I was updating a game on my PS3 once (don't remember which one), and it literally took 1-2 hours. I played the 360 while this was happening, so I could see overloading...
Thanks for the feedback. I'd probably have a similar power load, with a 5 channel amp and video game consoles, but I'd want to connect my monitor as well. It's tough to gracefully turn off some devices if you can't see the screen. It sounds like the J10 probably doesn't have quite enough capacity for me, so more power via the J15 may be in order. Then I could get the sub connected as well.
So I've decided to get a UPS for my HT system. I know a lot of people say they aren't necessary, but I've seen too many boxes brick due to a power glitch during a firmware upgrade, especially when those upgrades take forever (I'm looking at you PS3). I think it's cheap insurance. Anyway, I started looking around, and it's coming down to either a Panamax or APC. I'm leaning toward the APC J10, but both have me puzzled about something. When you buy a computer UPS,...
Someone needs to tell cord manufacturers about this. I have a number of appliances with right angled plugs, and the cord is always molded into the ground side of the plug, with the idea being that this allows the cord to run down the wall closely. If my outlets were installed ground up, the cord would run up the wall and loop back down. I'm not saying you're wrong about the code - I have no specific knowledge about this either way. I'm just pointing out that there are...
Which one did you buy? I've been interested in something like this for a while.