or Connect

Posts by mattg

I read about the 4k on this site and found that there was one on display only a mile or so from my job in Palo Alto at the Sony store in the Stanford mall. I had to go there anyway so I made it a point to stop by. The first set I saw was a 65" HX950. It was playing an animated movie (of course) but it was a very impressive picture. At $5k it would be a tough call between that and a Sharp Elite. On to the star of the show. Yes, at 84" it is large, but I've seen many such...
So changing from the assignable toslink and component to component 1 and optical 1 will make my life easier? I will try it today. I don't have a choice of where the hdmi goes out from the receiver and in to the plasma (only one other available on the plasma). m
and hopefully the end is near. Following the previous advice of the experts on this forum, I have hooked up the SC-05 as follows: -- BluRay (to come) via hdmi to SC-05 (this is not a concern at the moment). -- Cable box (Motorola) via hdmi directly to the Pioneer 5070 plasma input 5 (as it's always been) so I can just watch TV through plasma speakers. -- Cable box via component to SC-05 assignable component input. -- Cable box via toslink to assignable digital...
Thanks...(macfan 424 too). I like 1 and 2 being the same (I thought that might be the case) so only one hdmi cable. So by using your method for 4 I am getting video and audio in a single cable (hdmi) instead of splitting them up? If I do this, it seems like the component (video) and toslink (audio) will combine when I do want to watch surround sound TV (movies, etc.).....correct? I've had great luck with monoprice in the past. The hardest part about this whole process may...
hooking up my sources to the SC-05 and out to the plasma. Goal 1: be able to watch movies in surround sound via (soon to be purchased) BD player when I eventually get all my speakers and sub. Solution: I will go from BD to SC-05 via hdmi and hdmi to plasma. This seems like a no-brainer even for me. Goal 2: be able to listen to CDs via the BD player in stereo only (or stereo + sub when I get one. Solution: I will add an optical digital audio cable (is this the...
Yes....using "source" did the trick and I was able to use the tuner. Also, the zone 2 stayed on becasue, when I first turned on the receiver, the slider was in the 'zone 2' position. To turn that off I put it back to zone 2 and hit 'power'...that turned everything off. I will post a separtate 'what if' scenario for hooking up BD and cable box soon before I go to one of the forum sponsors to place my order... thanks.
OK...feel like an idiot (nothing new). Got the 05 out of the box with stereo speakers connected and DVD analog audio for sound (just to see if I could play music). That worked....HOWEVER a couple of questions; --The is a red "multi zone" that stays on the front panel...why? Is it the default? When I turn the receiver off, there is a faint "Zone 2 on" still on the display...shouldn't his be blank or black? --Sad to say i can't even get the FM radio to work. I hit the...
Will this matter even if I only have left and right speakers for now? I have 2 surrounds in the ceiling but it seems a bit odd to me to have 4 without the center.
Thanks...that makes sense even for me...and I am a bit intimidated by this process not having purchased a receiver since '81. With your method it seems that I can watch just 'regular' tv through the plasma speakers on one input, while watching 'surround sound' tv or having better audio by going through the SC-05 on the input where it goes into the display.... This will be interesting to say the least. My modest goal is to have CDs playing by the weekend in stereo only (no...
Received my SC-05 yesterday but probably won't have time to set it up until the weekend. My system is simple now but will get more complex when I add center and sub. For now I will hook up a cable DVR via hdmi to the receiver, a DVD via component to the receiver, and use hdmi going out from the receiver to my Pioneer 5070 plasma. When I get around to a Bluray I will go hdmi to the SC-05. So.....if I do all this with the addition of L and R audio directly to the plasma...