or Connect

Posts by vince2

For best results, the enclosure should be matched to the speaker, which is why I recommended the Triads. However, even a home-made box may help with the problems that in-wall and in-ceiling speakers face like poor bass response, phase cancellation and sound transmission into adjacent rooms. They can also prevent physical damage (ever see an attic after a re-roofing job?).
I don't think it's illegal. A lot of specialized equipment comes with proprietary software. As long as the equipment is only distributed through factory authorized dealers, then programmers must be factory authorized. Sometimes the dealers have to buy specialized tools from the factory just to diagnose and service the equipment. They aren't always happy about this either. What I hate even more is when equipment manufacturers diliberately remove the part numbers or specs...
I see where you are coming from, but you are shopping for speakers with your wallet instead of your ears. Why not buy a single pair first and see how they work for you? BTW, bathrooms and garages are considered high moisture areas. So are kitchens, which you don't seem to have spec'd out. There's no better place for background music than the kitchen IMHO.
I can't emphasize this enough DON'T SKIMP ON CEILING SPEAKERS! You get what you pay for (within reason). You don't need brackets installed for most decent brands, they come with ears for securing to drywall. If you only have $300 to spend, do just one or two rooms for now. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for a miserable experience. Within a year, you'll be replacing the cheap speakers due to failed cones, rusted grills, or tinny sound. If you're just a builder...
Mike, if you use Triad speakers (a local company to you) they come fully enclosed. This improves the sound quality as well.
No need to apologize IMHO. Some things DO cost too much. How about a pair of 8' speaker cables for $24,000 ??? Yep, try Transparent Opus MM's. Point is, there is a range of options for every budget. The HA field is still relatively new and as demand increases, new players emerge and competition increases, prices will come down and options will increase.
Quote: Originally Posted by penngray People are trying to say Crestron is like a fine ferrari or a incredible custom cabinet but I dont think that is true. Are the Parts inside the crestron components hand made? or are they purchased from the same taiwan electronics plant as everything else ;) Agreed, the components are simple. Putting it together in a clean, robust package is what counts. Then there is the operating system (ugh!) Design DOES...
[quote=penngray] lol, yeah and the cabinet people say 10% of a home's costs is in Cabinets also :D Pool/Spa, people say 10% of the home cost is in Pool and accessories for it. :D Before I know it, 10 items take up 100% of my current budget for the new house Yikes!![quote] That is so true. People think I'm crazy because I also think at least 20% of the budget should go towards landscaping (where most builders allocate less than 5%). It's mostly about lifestyle...
Well, I tend to agree, but prices ARE coming down and the technology is getting better. Just needs a little more time before most "average" homes will have some sort of automation. High quality will always come at a high cost though. You have to pay up for the latest greatest. Both the Ferrari and the Volkswagon will get you somewhere but in very different ways. And both are better for most consumers than a home-built jalopy. Keep in mind that home values have soared as...
The lights are easy assuming a single circuit. Lutron makes a remote-controlled dimmer switch called the Maestro IR that is reasonably priced. Just wire it in place of the existing switch and use the provided remote or program your universal remote to control it. If you have more than one light circuit to control, look at the Lutron Spacer or GrafikEye. The screen control solution can be simple or next to impossible, but we need to know what you have in terms of brand,...