or Connect

Posts by mrsmith

Pricey right now - remember how costly were the original plasmas back in the day? Well, those too dropped quickly. One thing is for sure: OLED really IS 'the next big thing in HDTV, and not 4K, which is really more a marketing gimmick than anything else(only about 2% of the populace is able to tell the difference between 4K & 1080p at 9-ft average viewing distance).
Yup, with prerecorded disc sales down about 16% the most recent year, and about 13% in the year before that, they're got to find SOMETHING to entice the fools. Right now, the producers are lighting candles below their gilt-framed portraits of P.T. Barnum.
Now that you've mentioned the latest crock of bull(4k) alongside the BluRay crock, I suggest you get to an optometrist for a good check of your eyes. Both are good, but principally are exercises in marketing prowess. In the case of BluRay, it is the biggest economic flop in the history of electronics(see Sony's 11/2007 report to the SEC of a $250-BILLION loss in its BluRay division which is mathematically impossible to recoup, even at a net-net-net profit of $100-million...
Makes little difference, at least to me, which method is used to access Netflix new 'Super HD' titles and service. More important is the extraordinary image quality - now on a par with VuDu's HDX and many average BluRay disks. Nothing short of amazing. I would not have thought it possible to stream this kind of quality and see it with so little in the way of compression artifacts on a 65-inch plasma. Too bad they're both still using a surround sound codec which is...
No, I agree that 3D is anything but "dead". But, perhaps, the more accurate statement would be that glasses-type 3D is indeed dead over the long term. Most people I know - including me - do not want to sit around the house watching TV wearing a pair of sunglasses. So I believe that no-glasses 3D is the thing of the future and several manufacturers are now showing prototypes and a few models for sale, but with many caveats as to viewing angles, etc. This is all several...
4k: Much ado about nothing much from what I've seen. The latest LG 84-incher showing a native 4k travelogue at a local Video & Audio Center store was, well, OK. Problem is, however, that within about 15 feet at the same store was a 90-inch Sharp showing a native 1080p source, and the difference - standing about 9 feet away from each screen - was minimal. As far as the WOW! factor, or knock-your-socks-off factor, 4k just doesn't seem to do it. Perhaps big-screen OLEDs will...
What do I hear via the amp? So long as the Roku2-XS is set for STEREO on sources such as Netflix 5.1 or Vudu HDX 5.1, a plain old stereo mix is heard. If, however, the box is set to 5.1, there is no sound whatsoever from the amp - or even the HDTV(Panasaonic TH65PZ850U). Since both Netflix and VuDu simply state that they've referred the issue to Roku, it appears at this time that there is no solution for thousand and thousands of amplifier owners which do not decode DDP....
If the price were no more than 1080p then fine. But a higher price? Forget it.
The concept that a higher price means higher quality is one of the all-time bogus theories being peddled by many providers. After all, if you can get a lot of people to believe it, you're way ahead of the game, Fortunately, independent expert sources, such as Consumer Reports, often debunk this theory(the Cadillac and Lincoln references most recently). Here's another really GLARING example that I think merits close attention: online prescription eyeglass services like...
They can call it Jake, they can call it Fred, they can call it bozo - it's still yet another incremental improvement in display technology. Within the last two weeks I saw "Ultra HD"(LG's 84-inch version using a 4k[Ultra HD] native travelogue source, and it was little different from the image on my 65-inch Panasonic plasma using an 'Ultra BluRay' 1080p travelogue('Over California'). Granted, the LG had the same kind of resolution at 84-inches as mine at 65-inches, but at...