or Connect

Posts by S2KMAN

Posted this in a different thread but did not get any response. Can someone check the below and let me know if you'd think it would work in my setting: I have a dedicated theater room that doesn't get used that much, but I am looking to upgrade from my current projector which is an Infocus ScreenPlay 4805. I am considering the ViewSonic Pro8200 or perhaps an Optoma HD20 but no option is off the table. However, I want it to conform to my current setup which looks like the...
Given the infrequency of use (cannot even really justify having a dedicated room anymore but I do) and I'd like to keep it below $1k. Humorously I remember buying my first projector in 2000 for $5k and a few years later the bulb was worth more than the projector! But, I digress.Thanks for the help.
I have a dedicated theater room that doesn't get used that much, but I am looking to upgrade from my current projector which is an Infocus ScreenPlay 4805. I am considering the ViewSonic Pro8200 or perhaps an Optoma HD20 but no option is off the table. However, I want it to conform to my current setup which looks like the following: 1/ Based on my current ceiling mount, I expect a throw distance of around 14' (give or take a small amount depending on the length of the...
I currently have DirecTV, but have become a little put off by their HD Tivo offering. I have the option in my area to go with Comcast or TW. From the standpoint of HD, and in particular an HD DVR, which seems to be preferred? Thanks.
I've been a DirecTV customer since 2001 and I also have their SD DirecTivo unit. I just purchased an HD TV and I was looking into upgrading my current Tivo to an HD model. I was very surprised to find that the cost of doing so is quite a bit higher than switching to cable. Even with the upcoming $200 rebate that will bring the price to $299. Does anyone have comments on the quality/features of the DirecTivo HD unit compared to Time Warner's? Thanks.
All, Thanks for your responses, experiences, and advice. GeorgeAB, thanks very much for the link. I read the article which provided for quite the education. I now have some more thinking to do...
I am looking to replace my Sony XBR tube TV that I have in my family room. However, there is a lot of ambient light in that room with large windows all around. Even my XBR can get washed out and/or throw off annoying reflections. I am thinking of a TV size around 50". I am thinking perhaps plasma because it is the brightest, but I am sure there are other factors involved. This unit will not be used for any DVD movies as I have a dedicated front projection theater...
Thank you all for your thoughts. You have convinced me to put the filter back on. I did so this evening and we watched our first movie with it which was the latest Harry Potter. A lot of dark scenes in that movie which look quite good. I originally got the ND2 to aid with the SD effect I was noticing, especially in scenes with very light color. I could still notice it with the ND2, but I am not sure whether it is better than without it.
I have just received my ND2 filter for the 4805. After viewing some different parts of movies with and without it, I definitely have some concerns. Curious what others think of the filter for their own application. To test I used the "Cuban Pete" scene from the Mask. I also used the skiing scene from The World Is Not Enough. For the Mask it seemed fine given there aren't a lot of whites. However, I was really disappointed when viewing the skiing and mountains in...
I just received my ND2 filter for the 4805. Do I calibrate with Avia before or after this filter is applied? Thanks.