or Connect

Posts by s.bradford

Not recommended. I have the 7070A and use its preamp outs to drive adcom amps that are connected to my MMGs. The Kenwood will get very hot driving these loads (especially at HT levels) not to mention not sounding all that great.
On your new pre/proc you WILL have the option of using a center channel or not. If you choose no, the decoded center channel info will be mixed with the L&R outputs to your stereo/amp speakers. This is known as a phantom center channel and is decidedly different than just listening to a soundtrack through stereo connections. If your speakers image well to your listening area, this may be all you need. G'luck!
The descirbed symptoms are indicative of a cold solder joint. This is essentially a bad solder connection on some PCB in the unit. When it warms (or is vibrated/hit/shocked/or placed underwater (c, the joint expands and makes contact again. When it cools off the joint contracts and breaks contact (much like a bimetal thermometer). If you can get to the area where the IR receiver is connected to a PCB, it is that PCB that is most likely the problem. Wiggling/flexing the...
Quote: Originally posted by windwaves thank you bradford. So I could get now a pre-amp/processor and use it with my current system. great news. However if I add a center speaker this will need its own ampliefier, do I get this correctly ? Yep. But depending on your current speakers and your listening area, a center channel might not be necessary/better. Why? you may ask... I find the center channel to be REALLY important as most of the...
The numbers are relative, and are influenced by amp power, speaker efficiency, room size and so on. numbers to actual power... raising the level 3db doubles the power to your speakers.
Infinitely doable. Any decent receiver or pre/pro will allow you to "phantom" rears to front and center to front so you do not need to start out with more than 2 speakers/channels of amplification. Then when you're ready to expand add more speakers and amplifiers. As your rec/preamp will have independant level controls for each output, there is no need for a matched multichannel amp (in fact you will most likely get better results with separate mono/stereo amps than...
This has been discussed several times in multiple threads. Try doing a search on 4 ohm(s).
Quote: Originally posted by jambon Would the average quality of the A/V receiver negate the value of the high quality amp somehow? Anyone use this setup? I am assuming by 'music' you mean stereo. If that is the case make sure your receiver bypasses the digital cr*p in stereo mode. If not, god only knows what it will sound like. The bottom line is the high level analog outputs that today's source components have put little to no demand on a preamp...
I don't think you will be disappointed with maggies in home theatre... but diaphragm area is the key. Maggies don't have the excursion of other dynamic drivers so they will not provide the amount of 'PUNCH' HT demands unless you can maximize the diaphragm area, AND have lots of juice you can provide them. I currently have have a maggie 4.1 system with an M&K sub (I don't have room for the maggie center channel and all other centers seem to severly muddy the dialog, so I...
Many manufacturers consider goods sold through non-authorized dealers as being 'gray market', and will not honor warrantees on these units. Check with Yamaha to confirm but based on the following link I think they are in this boat: http://www.hometheaterphiles.com/receivers-yamaha.html Gray market goods are supposedly those that do not go through the local (US) distributor network and are not subject to the costs of supporting those goods (warranty and support, etc....