or Connect

Posts by RayN999

Just on a whim, I figured I'd see if the Horiz output transistor was getting weak. Replaced it with a new part & fired it up. Projector came up rock solid stable at 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768. Will try bumping it up to higher resolutions later today. Seems it's not as flaky as it appeared....
"It's dead Jim...." I tried it one last time after giving the H Width control a shot of contact cleaner & letting it dry. Not stable even at 800x600@60hz anymore either. I've had some interest in a few of the parts, the lenses are the HD6c color filtered, not the HD144, so it looks like I'll just pull it apart, salvage (and sell) what I can, and offer to donate the rest to Curt for spare parts. Thanks for the help everyone
Jerry, thanks for the idea. I'll test that tomorrow. Trouble is, it WAS stable at higher resolutions but isn't any longer for some reason. It seems like it's just aging (and not aging gracefully). I'll try it & hope for the best....
Thanks. If someone wants the lenses/remotes/tubes, feel free to PM me. I'm willing to entertain all offers.
Jeremy, thanks for the comments. As noted, I do indeed have the setup/installers remote as well as 2 operations remotes. The tubes & lenses appear to be in quite good shape, it's just a shame that the rest of it is going downhill.I ran it today for a few hours at 640x480 as was suggested by a couple of people, then stepped it up to 800x600. I had the brightness & contrast cranked down to 30, ensured rasters weren't getting close to tube edges, and it seemed to be...
Interesting idea. I was originally hesitant about running it any longer because of the magic smoke issues (not wanting to let out the magic smoke that makes all electronic devices work) (and I didn't want it burning up at 3am while I was sleeping in another room), but I may just give it a go. At this point, I don't have much to lose.Thanks
I've posted the problem & gotten a response on Curt Palme's forum, but I'll copy it (and responses) here hopefully to get a wider audience.... My post: I picked up an NEC 9pg off CraigsList last holiday season for free, $0.00. Owner originally said it didn't power up, but then got it to fire up in the time it took for me to get from my place to his (about 20 min. drive). He said it was stored in his garage for a few years, but wife was sick of stepping around it when...
Jeremy, at Menards there's some plastic sheet material, white, smooth on one side and slightly textured on the other. I've seen it recommended elsewhere here in the AVSForums but for the life of me can't remember the brand name. It's pretty cheap, think I paid $25 for a 4'x8' sheet of the stuff. I built a frame from 2"x2" pine with corner frame brackets, and glued the plastic sheet to it. Did this for the 4:3 ratio frame at 72" for my old Sony VPH-1042...
Keep an eye on CraigsList in the Free section for deals. Maybe I'm just one lucky CRT soul, but I was surfing CL just after Christmas & found a posting for an NEC 9pg that reportedly didn't power up & the guy was offering it for free for parts. I initially believed that it could be a simple fuse or some issue in the power supply that I could repair. When I got there, he says "I got it powered up". I then figured he'd want to keep it, but nope, he said "Take it, still...
I received the other 'problem child' from Jeremy (thanks again for sending that for cost of shipping only!). The 'different issue' with this one was the bad drive mentioned as well as the power supply board was busted. Jeremy managed to get the power supply back to fully functional before sending it my way, but the drive seemed to be a challenge. I let the player sit for a couple months but would occasionally search ebay for the replacement blu-ray drive. Finally...