or Connect

Posts by scoob5555

Based on a few of your screen shots (especially the "unsaturated" colors in Monsters, Inc), I'd say a gray screen should definitely improve your PQ. Have you calibrated using Avia or DVE? The colors in Monsters should be 'cartoonish' and bold. Your X1 appears to be washed out like dpadair's and would benefit from a calibration and gray screen (something like ddog or Misty Evening). So I'll agree with BMAG, at least partially: build a DIY screen and paint some gray...
Bless you Joe. This was a great experiment, but I'm curious to know if you tried to recalibrate your PJ to the ME piece to compare that way? It might be too difficult with such a small sample, but I'd really like to see that comparison before I delve into ddog 1.0. Maybe I'll get ambitious (if CMRA doesn't beat me to it) and try a half size piece of ddog to try exactly this experiment.
Dpadair, I must agree with your assessment - WAY too washed out. Looks like either a saturation issue or a contrast issue (maybe both). I think I've seen some good shots from X1s previously, so some manipulation may be in order. What's the problem with DVE? Maybe try the old Avia or the Sound & Vision disc?
3 cheers for both of you guys! These shots are great and I, like CMRA, hope that someone - anyone - with a SilverStar screen will contribute some screen shots for comparison. Eric, Is your PJ calibrated for the Silverstar or for your ddog or white over silver? That SS patch looks very promising, but we need to see full screen shots to see how much better it is than the other options. I hope you can glean enuff from that small sample to keep experimenting with your...
When you say you want to kill the whites, I assume you mean the intensity of the whites reflected from the screen. Any gray screen will do this, but the main factor in any case would be the brightness (white level) control of the projector. I can make white look any shade of white or gray by varying the white level control on my PJ. As I and many before me have suggested previously, it's always best to calibrate your pj using Avia or DVE and then adjust the picture...
Dpadair- Sorry, you're right. I forgot about the ddog formulations. Although there are still folks working on that, changing things here and there to play around. But ddog's original probably is the most cited of the silver/gray crowd. I apologize for the inadvertent slight. But ME probably wears the crown for ease of application and is definitely worth a try for the $7.50 it costs you for a quart.
Punk, There's nothing blue about ME and it's one of the lighter shades of gray available. HD and Lowe's both sell Glidden paints and Misty Evening will be one of the shades on their cards. CMRA has posted the exact coding elsewhere. The Valspar should be available at Lowe's, but I haven't seen it in action. Don't put too much stock in the screenshots you may have seen from Misty Evening or other colors as everyone's digital cameras show a different picture and...
Quote: Originally posted by edketz Does anyone know about this misty evening application? Does it increase Gain at all? Ed, as far as I can tell, the ME decreases the gain more in the range of 0.9 or 0.8. Thus the enhanced blacks but decreased brightness. After recalibration with Avia or DVE, the white level will go back to very close to the white wall brightness, but black levels will remain improved. Scoob
Painting BO is recommended by lots of folks on this forum. And you can roll it, as long as you have a solid backing against which to paint. I chose the other route with the doable board. Scuffed the surface, primed with Kilz2 (Home Depot), then 3 coats of Misty Evening with a small foam roller. You can also use a 1/4" nap roller, but you may have to look around a bit for a fine roller. I also used black velveteen for the masking and can recommend it. You can get it...
Much depends on the texture of the wall and the general environment of the room. In a dedicated theater room (such as mine) with darkened walls and completely controlled ambient light, the screen can make a big difference in the viewing experience. However, I chose to go the DIY route to get a bigger viewing size. Without question, the switch from a standard 78" Dalite 1.1 Damat screen to my new 94" DIY Misty Evening screen was a big step up. And the new screen is...