or Connect

Posts by AKA SIR

I abandoned the HDMI ARC. I just went the "traditional" way of hooking up my TV to my receiver via the Monitor OUT on the receiver to just one of the non-ARC HDMI inputs on the TV. This left me with the problem that my TV was not sending the optical signal to the receiver. I was able to fix this by just switching the mode on the receiver from AUTO to Optical. This allowed me to hear my optical through my receiver but then my HDMI IN on the receiver (from my DirecTV box)...
I have searched around the forum and the web and it looks like there is no solution to this, but maybe I am missing something. My TV (Samsung LED 8000 series) is connected to my Denon via HDMI ARC. It sounds like to get ARC working, you need to turn the HDMI Control on with the Denon which I did. The problem is, now whenever I turn on the TV, it always changes the input on the Denon to TV AUDIO, which I do NOT want. I am using ARC so when I watch Netflix via the built in...
Wow... I am an idiot. I thought to use ARC you needed a separate ARC output on your TV. I switched the HDMI input on my TV from HDMI1 to HDMI3 (which is the ARC one). It didnt work at first but I checked my Denon manual and you need to make one setting change: HDMI Control set to On (default is off). Works!!!However some weird stuff started happening now (some good)1) My DirecTV remote now turns on/off ALL THREE of my devices at once! I wanted to do this in the past so I...
I have a 60" Samsung 8000 series LED and a Denon AVR-3313CI receiver. I spent all last night in my attic and tearing my drywall apart to run an optical cable from the back of the TV to my receiver so when I watch Netflix (using the built in app on the TV) I can hear it through my A/V speakers. Well I go to test it and no audio. Yes, I went into my TV settings and changed the Speaker Select to "External Speaker" which is what their eManual says to do ("Receiver" is an...
I am looking to upgrade my sub. I have the opportunity to purchase a used Epik Empire or a used Outlaw lfm-1 plus (actually the guy selling the Epik has a pair of them). My speakers are: a pair of Definitive Technology Mythos STS towers (which each have a powered sub in them) as my L/R and a Mythos Seven as my center. My room is 18x11 and is open into my kitchen (see attached). My receiver is a Denon 3313ci. Which sub would be better in my situation? Price is the same for...
Thanks. So get the Mythos 7 as my center and hook up my STS towers as the Front L/R?Many people have suggested that my sub is inadequate and needs to be upgraded. Is that true? If so, what are some recommendations in the sub $300 range and $300-$500 range?Thanks!Jeff
Well after doing some measurements it looks like the CS-8080/8060 are not an option. My center channel is currently sitting on my mantle below the TV and after looking at the specs of these on Definitives website, they are too deep. My mantle is only 9" or so deep and these are 14" or 12" depending on the model. So it looks like the Mythos Seven is going to be my only option, which is fine because I wasnt too thrilled about figuring out a way to run power to the center...
Thanks everyone. Here is a layout of my floorplan. Ceilings are 8 foot. As you can see, it is open concept and the TV room is open into the kitchen. Hickory hardwood floors and the TV is on a stone veneer fireplace. 60" Samsung LED.I am hoping I can sell my SSA-42 and get a center for a wash or $100 - $200 out of pocket. I like the CS8060/CS8080 but I dont have power run to where the center will go. I guess I could tap off the TV power outlet if I had too. As for a sub, I...
If I did want to use my SSA-42 as just a center, do I just hook up the center wires to the center speakers (and leave the other speakers in that unit not hooked up - so the only sound coming out would be from the center speaker)? Or is there a way to use all the speakers in the SSA-42 as the center?Thanks for the recommendations! Do you have any sub recommendations as well that would work well with the setup?If I only had enough money to do one thing, should I...1) Use the...
Thank you very much. This is exactly the type of info I need. To answer your questions, I have just accumulated my speakers over time through various methods. I didnt go out and purchase them all at once for my home setup... it has kind of been a Frankenstein type accumulation.So from reading your post, you think I should try to sell my SSA-42 and buy a good, dedicated center channel?If I did that, I should then use my STS as my Left and Right? Or are those bad speakers...