or Connect

Posts by David Baldwin

I think Sharp's success with Q+ will come down to the price point they will actually hit with it. If they dump the price, would you buy a similarly priced TV that can't play UHD content or one that can play 4K content? I must admit that I am interested in Vizio's local dimming approach for LCDs, and liked this year's Samsung 8000 series with local dimming for a bright room, but… "The future is OLED" per many experts. Supposedly OLED surpasses plasma's black levels and...
For anyone having unusual video difficulties with their Roku 2 XS, I discovered that when using 1080P video and 5.1CH audio, that the video mode for the HDMI input on the Onkyo TX-NR3009 must be set to "Direct" mode, otherwise the white level or black level or gamma gets out of whack making the picture un-watchable. There are 6 video settings and only "Direct" works properly. I am a very happy camper with my Roku + TX-NR3009 setup now!
Not so strange really. I didn't want to drop another $2,000+ for a new receiver, when as I mentioned, the 4806ci sounds better to me than my new Onkyo TX-NR3009, which is also a THX Ultra2 plus unit and has the latest Audyssey MultEq XT-32. The Denon is likely to reclaim its spot in my Theater, while the Onkyo is likely to get moved to the family room or game room. If money was no object, I may have purchased the 4520ci as was suggested or I may have invested in...
Well, I chose to get it fixed. They don't make a receiver this good for twice what it will cost me to fix it. The 4520ci doesn't even have a toroidal transformer in it. I know that's only one factor of many that impact the quality, but no sense in paying 2x for a few extra features I'm not likely to use much. Thanks for your inputs!!!
Thanks for the opinions so far. any more opinions? I have to make a decision over the weekend. Thanks, DLB
I have had a Denon AVR-4806CI since 2006. The amplifier in this receiver was very clean sounding. I could turn it up to great SPL levels without any discomfort or perceived distortion or audible artifacts. It recently locked up on me and it will cost $800 to have the digital board replaced. I bought an Onkyo TX-NR3009 when the Denon unit went down to have something to use in my main listening room. My ancient Sony receiver in my game room is on its last leg so I...
I called Bocsco tech support today. Three rings and David Teller picks up with no wait. Now that is customer service. The bad news though is that all the control signals between therefore remotes and the Xtender are RF. Therefore there is no really straightforward way to use all six of my BOCS inputs via a single coax Slingbox input. I guess its not really a huge letdown since I use the HD Tick 99 percent of the time anyway. I could probably rig up something...
I called Bocsco tech support today. Three rings and David Teller picks up with no wait. Now that is customer service. The bad news though is that all the control signals between therefore remotes and the Xtender are RF. Therefore there is no really straightforward way to use all six of my BOCS inputs via a single coax Slingbox input. I guess its not really a huge letdown since I use the HD Tick 99 percent of the time anyway. I could probably rig up something more...
Do the colored buttons output an ir code for the xtenders locally or is it rf output only? I need to be able to have slingbox output these ir codes to change the input and related device codeset. If it is rf only, i'm in trouble. Now there is two options for controlling the sources. First and simplest is if each bocs remote button has a unique ir code for the xtender. This way i can create a custom bocs remote in slingplayer and let the xtender control the...
All, I haven't posted in a long time. The family has been too busy watching TV! I just bought a Slingbox Pro HD. I set it up on my HD Tivo to verify functionality and it works nicely including slinging to my new Motorola Droid X smartphone. Since I want the Slingbox to work with my BOCS Xtenders, but don't want to reinvent the wheel, can anyone help with this? I am assuming that I will need to set up like it is a same room control so that the Xtenders expect...