or Connect

Posts by craig john

Hmmmmm....Just because a speaker is physically "large" doesn't mean it should be set to Large. The decision to send a speaker a full range signal or to apply a crossover should be made based on the low frequency extension of the speaker. If you send a speaker a signal it is not capable of reproducing, that signal is LOST, never to be heard. If, instead, you re-route that signal to a different speaker, (the subwoofer), that IS capable of reproducing it, you'll actually...
Yes, the satellite dish is grounded. If it's different than the house ground, it could be your problem.
With your sub powered on, but all other connections disconnected, while you're hearing the hum, try unplugging your CATV box. If the problem goes away, the problem lies in the CATV ground. You'll need to have your cable company come out and re-ground the cable TV so it's connected to the house ground.Craig
Well, there's the Acoustical Treatments Master Thread. That monster is 339 pages and over 10,000 posts, so your stuff would likely get lost in there. However, it is frequented by some of the smartest acousticians on the forum, so you would get good feedback.Or, you could put a thread in the Audio Theory Setup and Chat Forum. There it could be your own thread, and you will still get some good advice and feedback.Or, you could put your thread in the Dedicated Theater...
Here's the full text of the article Rob quoted:http://acousticsfreq.com/blog/?p=432And here is Ethan Winer's version of it:http://realtraps.com/rfz.htmCraig
Good to see you're using the 7 P's of preparedness:Prior Proper Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance! Craig
I heard those speakers back in the day, and they were excellent. However, I remember the sweet spot was extremely small... like "head in a vice" small. The guy had tape on the floor where the chair had to go and you had to sit exactly in the middle of the seat. In that spot, the imaging was incredible. An inch or two to the left or right and it completely collapsed and the sound seemed to come from the (slightly) closer speaker. The Haas effect clearly impacted those...
I'm curious... what speakers are these? I'm not saying speakers like this don't exist, but I can't imagine a speaker designer designing speakers so the best response pattern is off-axis. How would he/she know how far off axis the listener is sitting? And the sweet spot for that situation would be extremely narrow. The diagrams on Page 4 of the the paper I linked above show that exact phenomenon.Agreed! Do what works best for the specific speakers, room and listening...
Why do you need our input? Your own impressions, as stated above, ought to be more than enough, especially at this price point.
OMG... You must be kidding. You have so many misconceptions and misinformation about audio, it is really unbelievable. Speakers are generally designed for flat on-axis response. Therefore, to get the best from most speakers you want to sit on-axis. To sit on-axis of most speakers, you NEED to toe them in so they are aimed directly at the listening position.Here is a document that explains it with illustrations:  Craig