or Connect

Posts by benareeno

for the last freaking time...brightness has a correct setting...to raise or lower it will ruin the picture. I always have it in the correct location. You can't say...hmmm....lowering brightness seems to get rid of noise (which it might), but then all your material down around black will be obscured. So, you really can't do that without a serious issue. You CAN lower contrast, provided you can account for the gamma issues you might get as a result...believe me, I have...
the internet and forums like this are ruined by jerks like moonchilde...I know most find me abrasive, but this guy is an idiot. Everything he said above is ridiculous. You can't just lower brightness...it will ruin information just above black. Anyone who has even used VE to set brightness would know that. You can't just fix the picture by lowering brightness...it's a fools game. and a slightly inaccurate primary will not produce noise in the picture...that is insane....
That's not the issue at all...and I've explained it already. Nobody told me to go in and lower contrast and lower gamma...and no calibrator would do this. So, quit telling me I need it calibrated, or don't understand the display tech... The primaries are so close out of the box, that they are not of high concern and would do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING towards noise. Only curtailing light output can mask the noise. I made a point of asking this in the display calibration...
some want to simply defend their particular perfect tv at all costs...I'm just looking for the best picture I can get. I don't care what brand and what technology, just a good picture. And I usually am ok with smaller screen sizes so the picture issues will diminish. So..here I am with a 42s60 and trying for the best and wanting to discuss the shortcomings. I really feel at a normal calibrated setting it's just too bright and therefore noisy. Lowering contrast helps...as...
I can handle a non-linear gamma ramp if I get a smoother looking picture with some depth at lower light output. Have you tried any calibrations with lower light output?
I find that there is a lot to like about plasma, in general. Unfortunately there is usually a fair amount of general noise to the picture. Almost like the picture is not solid..and for some reason, I see this from far back too. I believe the reason is that the light output is too high...overly revealing, shall we say. Especially for dark room viewing... So, I play around with settings at lower light outputs and I do see a less noisy, and smoother picture (very crt like)....
it is so amusing to be part of a forum community... let me catch you all up. What I believe the crux of the issue to be is too much light ouput. THe more light, the more noise....lowering the light output dulls the picture... BUT....last night, I was tweaking like a mad man and I came up with something that may warrant some consideration. I put it in cinema, and lowered contrast below 50...now I see a smoother pic with less noise...but it's dull. I know that I want...
for the last time, it's not the calibration...these things are very close out of the box. A small greyscale tweak or primary color tweak would not solve the issues that I see. I'm not complaining about color temp, or accuracy...it's gradation and noise. But, perhaps the VT with higher gradation would be good...the only issue is it only comes in larger screen sizes, which magnify the noise effect!! Then again, the noise effect is supposed to be lessened with the VT. Hmmmm
I probably will...I read all these reviews and measurements stating how great they are...and how great the picture looks. But, it just doesn't...1080p looks soft...and there is a ton of noise to the picture. it's like reviews are all about the measurable areas of the picture, but overall pic quality is not measured. Maybe my brain needs time to get used to the noise and dithering...let alone that the average face looks to be about 3 or 4 different colors. I'm just...
Calibration does nothing for noise/dithering...and if you think it does, then please stop advising people to get their tv's calibrated as you don't know what you're talking about.