or Connect

Posts by mirkolop

I don't have my AVR connected to WIFI. Do I need a WIFI connection to upgrade the firmware? I bought one of the early units and have never upgraded the firmware. How do I find out which version I am using now? Thanks in advance, Mirkee
I am very happy with my 5.1 set up at this time. Once I retire and get another house maybe there will be time for a room more suitable for HT. For now, I am using my family room. The HD Plasma is over the fireplace, in a nice nook created by built in bookshelves we had put in when we remodeled. The EC 35 is on the mantlepice, my JBL l-100s are in nooks in the bookcase, built just for them. Not real happy with that location as they are too close to the floor but I'll...
I bought an EC35 from Craigslist and am very happy with it. Much better than the S model I had prviously. There is at least one on ebay now. They seem to go for around $100. Maybe you can find one nearby and avoid tha hassle and expense of shipping. It's a big, pretty speaker.
People looking at pro amps should also consider a quality used amp. My Adcom (100w per at 8 ohms) has been going strong for 20 years now. I bought it used. The 200w model sells for around $300 on ebay. Great amps. I'm sure there are others.
I have DirecTv with three dvr receivers, one HD. I do not get any movie channels but have the premium option whick gives me a lot of the extra channels (PLUS DVR) I pay $82 per mo. but that includes a $10 credit which I think will soon expire. My quandry is the fact that I use cable modem through Time Warner and it has just gone up to $50/mo for their medium speed service. I believe 10 MBS or something like that. I want to shop around but would like to get a good...
So...any thoughts on upgrading the l-100's? New crossovers? Titanium tweeters?
I think it's mostly nostalgia with me, and there is nothing wrong with that. I gave away my LP's several years ago. I still had some duplicates that were wrapped in plastic. I guess that shows how long the discs lasted, as I had many that I had replaced several times. It's a subjective hobby and some of us hear differences that may not be apparent to others. It's all in our heads anyway, but so is everything else. I did not know that the L-100's were some of the...
What do you mean by "multi channel music"? Is that playing discreet multi channel music DVD's or using a program on your DVR when playing stereo CD's? I'm real green when it comes to this. I'm old, so to me music means stereo...period. I would like to get with the program. I have a newer Yamaha DVR with multiple HDMI input/output. I only play "straight" when watching blue rays and stereo when listening to music. Any suggestions as to what else I should try. I don't...
I have been reading about the importance of matching speakers accross the front on this forum for a while now. I'm not sure I agree with the importance given to this concept. I have jbl l-100's LR and a jbl EC35 center. I guess the tweeters are different and probably not a good match. I find that the content of the center speaker and the LR are so different and so discreet, that I am unaware of any timbre missmatch. Maybe I could tell the difference if I had matched...
I have different speakers, but have heard the 890's at a friend's house. They are very nice and worth the money. I power my L-100's (also power hungry) with an Adcom 100 watt p/c power amp. there are versions of the Adcom that do 200 WPC. I was much happier when I went to the Adcom in addition to my Yamaha AVR. The Adcom is 20+ years old and still going strong. they are available relatively cheap in the used market. Is there Criagslist in Ecuador? :-)