or Connect

Posts by Flavius

Good riddance. Not only is my local dimming Sony 65" a better performer than my multiple past plasmas (though way more expensive), it also doesn't burn power and heat my up living room, or has me terrified of image retention. It doesn't buzz, bleed its lines, or give me weird patches of discoloration either. OLED will be the final nail in the coffin for plasma. The OLED screen on my Vita is the most amazing screen I've ever seen.
This is BS. Not even Sony, the inventor of the format, can stream it and instead delivers all the content on hard drives. And now Netflix doesn't say something sensible like downloading the movie first, but says "oh yeah, we'll stream it". Poppycock. The required rate to do that is something like over 100 Mbps. And no one has broadband that fast. Mine tops out at 20 Mbps. Calculated that based on a 100 minute movie weighing in at about 100GB according to 4K reports...
Vudu HDX and BluRay are acceptable. Because Vudu, thank god, lets you download the whole movie first, not stream it, so quality or dropout issues.
This is great news! My ISP is FiOS based and has no cap whatsoever. All cable companies should replace their copper with fiber optic or be put out to pasture. I also get Netfix SuperHD. 100GB can easily be downloaded overnight on my connection so I don't mind at all. Now too bad I just bought a $5K local dimming Sony TV without 4K support. Also, in a few years once prices decline further, the 4K movies could be sold on tiny little flash cards for not too much money....
For digital transmission, as long as the same bits get there, it doesn't matter what the cable is. But speaker wire is another beast entirely, because there we're talking analog electrical pressures and pulses. And given that speakers are driven by things like the force, amplitude, etc of electric current, the same current traveling through the speaker wires, I'd say it HAS to make some small difference. Electricity is like water. Let's take the water example. If you...
But there is no 4K physical format, nor will there be. Sony is shipping all its 4K content on HARD DRIVES. So yes, for the 4K enabled PS4, you will be DOWNLOADING 4K content, maybe not streaming due to insane bandwidth requirement, but downloading from the cloud, FOR SURE.
Forget WiFi and just buy a Powerline adapter, one of the new ones with 500mbps rating. Unlike the old ones, this is a new IEEE standard and works WAY better than the original Powerline adapters. Replaced my WiFi streaming with 3 Zyxel plugin devices and I could not be happier. No need to wire the home with CAT6. You wouldn't need more than CAT 5e anyway. And unless you're trying to stream 4K, even a solid, stable 100mpbs is more than enough. Keep in mind the max...
This isn't better than the top of the line Roku is it? Because I just bought one of those and it hasn't even arrived yet!
Require all games to run true 1080p and 60FPS and I'm sold. Oh who am I kidding, I'm sold either way. I don't think graphics will take a backseat, they will be very powerful, just not the primary selling point anymore. I'm also not sure Feb 20th is the PS4 announcement, it makes little sense to announce so early when Kaz Hirai said he'd be willing to have Microsoft tip their hand first. Most likely this will be announcing a streaming games service. Sony did buy...
Good riddance, it was all junk anyway.