or Connect

Posts by jaredhanson

Some information has been posted over on eHomeUpgrade about OmniFi's new devices: OmniFi DMS2 Wireless-G Media Adapter: http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/archives/000390.php OmniFi DMP2 Networked Car Audio/Video Player http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/archives/000391.php Somewhat light on the details, but the specs look very promising. I'd really like to see some interface screens, as that's what makes these products live or die, to me at least. Anyone else have more...
I highly recommend the Squeezebox from Slim Devices (http://www.slimdevices.com). The product is really nice looking, far better than the pictures on the website. It was optical audio outs in case you are looking for high-fidelity sounds. It is also incredibly easy and intuitive to use. The SlimServer that you install on your iMac reads you iTunes library and allows the Squeezebox to access all your music including any playlists you have set up. It also has a real...
Quote: Originally posted by mikestan21 How does it work that I only need the server software installed on the machine where my music is? And will it work if I have all my music on an external hardrive? It's there for backup and it's not networked, so I am guessing no. I wish there was more info out on the roku product, since it visually seems superior to the squeezebox. Although I would take performance over looks any day. ty, stan The...
I've used my Sqeezebox to play back uncompressed audio over 802.11b. I didn't notice any adverse side effects. My wireless network doesn't get used to heavily, just audio streaming and web browsing from the couch with my PowerBook. So, if you are an average user, you shouldn't have any problems. If for some reason you really push a lot of data over your wireless network, you might notice some issues.
I've had a Squeezebox for about 4 months now. I've updated the server one time in those 4 months, and another release has just been made, but I have not installed it yet. In any case, the server has had no problems, so there is not reason to upgrade if you don't want to. As a side note, SlimServer is developed on an open source model, so builds are updated nightly. A lot of people who develop the server, or want to test it, will install these builds. However, it is...
I'd let you know, but my collection is all in MP3. No conversions necessary. In anycase, I don't think any soundcards do native FLAC, so the server conversion should take roughly the same amount of resources as whatever player you use to play back FLAC files. Maybe someone else on the board could let you know exact resource usage by SlimServer.
I can't speak for the Roku device, but the Squeezebox supports MP3 and WAV natively. The server converts any other formats on the fly. So, for FLAC, it will convert it to WAV and stream it down to the Squeezebox. Obviously, since both FLAC and WAV are lossless, you will hear the music in its full sonic goodness. I have a Squeezebox, and I highly recommend it. It is real easy to set-up and use and has a great interface. If you use iTunes (I use it on Mac OS X), it...
So, you want opinions, huh? Well, I'll throw my initial thoughts out. First of all, this will never replace HTPCs or ever be better than an HTPC. Why? An HTPC is a computer, my computer, so I can make it play back whatever format I want it to and give it whatever interface best suits me. Sure, that may be a pain sometimes, and a lot of work, but the part of the fun of an HTPC is the fact that it is a hobby. People who have an HTPC generally like tinkering with it. ...
Quote: Originally posted by jautor The NAS market is about to change... NetGear showed (ok, had a mockup and little details) at CES a residental gateway (router/firewall/11g/etc.) that included a USB2.0 port. The port would support either a printer (making it also a print server), or an external USB hard disk, turning it into a very cheap NAS solution. The product is supposed to be out mid-year, and is just their new "high end" consumer router product. ...
I've been following Slim Devices mailing list, and apparently they had an issue with the company that makes the top and bottom pieces of the Squeezebox enclosure. This is what resulted in unusually long lead times before shipping. Apparently, they have the problem resolved and are hoping to ship all order for wireless Squeezeboxes by the end of the week. Wired Squeezeboxes may be a few more days. Just a heads up to anyone who is wondering what is going on.