or Connect

Posts by jaredhanson

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask an HDMI question or not, but since some newer plama displays have it, I'll give it a shot. Does anyone know of any adapters that will take DVI and audio (preferably digital optical) and convert them to HDMI? I'm researching plasma displays, specifically the Pioneers, and would like to hook up a G5 to one using DVI and digital optical audio so I could get both video and sound. The media receivers for these displays accept video...
Other than not wanting to mix network technologies, there is really little sense in wanting 802.11g on an audio player. Even if you are streaming uncompressed audio files, the bandwidth of 802.11b far, far exceeds that of the audio file. Since these devices do very little else on the network besides streaming a single audio file at a time, putting g on them probably isn't going to happen at the manufacturer, especially if they can save a couple bucks by using b. In...
This one surely looks interesting. Very nice display, and I'm waiting to here what formats it supports, what outputs it has, and the protocol it uses to interface to the server. Have you taken a look at Slim Devices Squeezebox? Just wondering why that hasn't fit your bill for a wireless media device. I got one a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. The display isn't quite as nice as this one, but it does its job and is easy to use, yet powerful.
I'm not sure how many of the UPnP DCPs will be implemented in this box. I guess I am just being optimistic. Anyway, if you read the UPnP page on the Leadman Electronics site, it states that the first release will include UPnP AV 1.0. I'm guessing this is referring to the UPnP AV Architecture DCP that you can download at upnp.org. That document outlines the requirement of ContentDirectory, AVTransport, and all the other fun specs that need to be implemented for...
This one definately looks very interesting. It's nice to see that the device supports UPnP. That should make it compatible with future servers and systems, as far as discovering and streaming media goes. I'm sitting at a Mac OS X system and have been thinking about starting an open source UPnP media server. Just waiting for a device to come out to make it worth while. Looks like I may have found it. The others, ShowCenter, Neuston, etc. just seem to be primitive web...
I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything exciting or seen any reviews about the Digeo Moxi set-top box? I've been pretty excited about this device ever since it was introduced a couple years back by Rearden Studios, but I haven't seen too much info lately. I've heard that Charter was doing a deployment in Rochester, MN. Does anyone who lives there know more about this or even played with the device and have thoughts? Just interested. Jared