or Connect

Posts by SlackerX

It would NOT shock me if AVS poster renethx has already got his fingers twitching to expand his ever growing "Guide to Building a HD HTPC". It really is a great resource for newbies to start with and is even a good reference for veterans to peruse once in a while.
Just to interject, isn't the upcoming Windows Home Server 2011 supposed to be based on Windows 2008 Server, just as the original was based on 2003 Server? Just sayin'. May not mean anything in this context in the end though...
Umm... Isn't 3D blu-ray being tested and benchmarked in this Sandy Bridge review here?http://www.missingremote.com/review/...bl-motherboardThis guy is a frequent poster on the AVS as well. The review is pretty thorough. I'm pretty sure that Sandy Bridge offers full HDMI 1.4 output, as well as full HD audio bitstreaming as well...Just to make sure that it's known, I am hardware agnostic at this point. I've used and had good experiences (to varying degrees) with AMD/ATI,...
GreenEyz, I'm very much aware of the capabilities of XBMC, Media Center Master, Media Browser and My Movies. I've used them all. None of them is perfect and some care needs to be taken in the naming of files at times in order to correct mistakes. To minimize that possibility, one should probably come up with a simple system of file nomenclature and placement and keep it consistent once you realize what works best for the metadata scraper that's being used. That's all...
On another note, this may be a time where a streaming media player may be best put to use. I've argued against streaming media players as a main media playing device for a home theater but for a secondary or tertiary TV in a house where you already have an HTPC and multiple client devices, and all you want to do is be able to play your blu-ray ISOs on a brand new TV, you may try something like the Netgear NTV550 which actually does support full DVD and blu-ray ISO...
gtidriver, there are no strictly DLNA client software implementations that I know of that can handle blu-ray ISOs. Your best bet, if you want to use DLNA for this purpose, would probably be to convert them with a tool like MakeMKV that would preserve the the full blu-ray (chapters, HD video and HD audio, etc) and play the movies that way. I believe that Samsung TVs also have the added annoyance of being capable of playing MKV files from a USB drive, but not over the...
I think that the OP wants to see if he can save money and retain most or all of what he wants to watch via and HTPC an IP based services, not so?You are definitely correct in that the HTPC can complement and supplement your cable subscription though.As for what the OP is trying to do. Yes, you will save money, but you will have to put in some time and effort into setup and research to get the right apps that will provide you with the channels and/or content that you...
The OP asked for alternatives and we've given some. I've also gone as far as to point out that the OP might not even need such a box in the near future. Probably by the middle of this year/summertime (if not sooner) if willing to wait, and if the change to a new TV will fit into the OP's budget or plans for this year... Now the OP is aware, possibly, of more choices than before. I don't see that as a problem. Someone questioned my choice for a suggested device (as low...
Hi RocketGuy3. Since nobody else has responded, I'll take a stab at this for you. There used to be an MSI motherboard that had a decent amp built into it so that you could connect real home theater speakers directly to your main case with no need for an external amp or receiver. Unfortunately there was no capability to connect external devices to your PC and basically expected users to manage all of their media through the HTPC by current conventional methods;...
Actually, stanger89, that was exactly my point. The labor process of organizing your files in a proper folder order and nomenclature to work with HTPCs is no different from that of an HTPC. The work still has to be done to get the full metadata scraping benefits so there is no added benefit that the small media player brings to the table in that regard.As far as fancy pictures and 3d effects, if people didn't care about the interface, people would be quite happy with a...