or Connect

Posts by Tweak48

It's time to take my existing system out to our cabin and replace it with something new. I'm replacing an Audio Research SP3 preamp/Conrad Johnson Sonograph SA250 combo, so what ever I replace it with needs to sound pretty good. This amp would be the centerpiece for all my source components including satellite TV. It would be driving JBL 4425 pro monitors. Here's some things I'm looking for: solid state (system is on nearly every day of the year for sometimes all...
Thanks for the help everyone.Actually I won't be using the little netbook as a server, just a player.How much RAM would you say is needed? Also, how about processor speed?I'll definitely need an outboard DAC, because I won't be using a AVR (I presume you're referring to an audio video receiver). Just old pre-amp and power amp seperates.
I'm upwards of 375 CDs now, and it's time to clear up the clutter. I'm mostly a 2 channel high end audio guy, so sound quality is important. Problem is, I know just enough about digital audio and computers to be dangerous, so please tell me if this is a good plan or if I am making a mistake somewhere: 1. Buy a new Acer netbook (360 GB, Windows 7 Starter) and use as an audio server only. Place it with the hi-fi gear. 2. Send the CDs and Acer to "ripping" vendor for...
Thanks for the tips. The guys at MusicShifter were really helpful.
I was looking for some technical advice in putting together a digital music system for my cabin in the desert. I want to load approximately 250 CDs on a outboard hard drive, and leave it down there. That way I would have access to my music in both places. I noticed that you can buy a 1TB USB 3.0 hard drive for about $100. That would seem to be big enough for my needs. What I don't understand is: 1. What would I use to control the hard drive (select, play or record...
Yes, my bulb showed up yesterday, and the rebate about 10 days ago. That was a really sweet deal. By selling my 18 month old, degrading Panny AE900 for $750 on Craigslist, my out of pocket for the Epson was about $350. Much sharper, brighter, and real pop to the colors. Only down side is the SDE, but at 15 feet on a 106 inch screen, it's not that bad.
I'm sure the 1080UB is marvelous (given reviews and comments at the Forum), but for the way I bought the 720, the price difference was closer to 3 times, than 2 times. Color saturation, blacks, and of course output with the 720 are great. It blew my Panny 900 away. I just don't have much access to 1080p program material, so I decided to take the cheap way out. Cost no object, I'd go for the 1080UB and a new BleuRay. Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy. Epson...
Chad- You apparently missed my point or I didn't write it effectively. I don't care if takes 8-10 weeks to get my $100 and bulb, as long as they let me know (or I can find out via their web site), that they have my stuff and are working it for me. For them to have my materials and not get it posted into their tracking system by 30 days is not acceptable. I'll drop it now; end of my rant. Hell, if the rebate company reads this thread and figures out who I am, I'll...
I completely disagree with that. I don't mind if they take 8 weeks to get me my bulb and money. Their having my application for 30 days and not even getting it into their system and letting me know they have my materials and are processing it, is sloppy and incompetent. If my materials have been lost in the mail, I'd like to know about it so I can send in a duplicate set. For all I know it's piled up in a in-basket somewhere. Read the posts in this thread; there...
Epson may make a good projector, and may have good service, but this is one royally doggie poo company that Epson hires to process rebates. It's been 30 days today since I mailed in my application, and I haven't heard a damn thing from them. No email. No response to the web query. No phone response other than: "no record sir. not in our system yet sir" If it was just a crappy little $25 rebate, I wouldn't worry about it. That $300bulb and the $100 rebate was a...