or Connect

Posts by HMenke

Great info - thanks. I have tried XBMC and love it, but didn't know if Blu-rays could be played through it. MakeMKV seems to be the answer. Q: Do you not use AnyDVD HD in conjunction with MakeMKV?
No problem! Terrabytes R Us. I run AnyDVD HD. It's a great program. I have never heard of MPC-HC x64 - sounds intriguing!
For those who are interested in the hardware of this HTPC: Intel Core i7-2600K quad core 3.4GHz with integrated Intel HD3000 High Definition 1080p Video and Audio Asus P8H67-M EVO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RA Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB SATA II 3Gb/s 7200rpm 32MB buffer HDD (OS and programs are stored on this drive) Western Digital WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s (added...
With constant tinkering and periodic complete overhaul of the OS, HTPC is feasible for the dedicated, tolerant, patient, and persistent enthusiast. I have just reached a point where I don't want to be the IT Help Desk for my PC anymore, lol. I do have frequent power outages where I live, which is a low population density rural area served by overhead power lines. A fallen tree branch along the road or an errant squirrel on the transformer are all it takes to make the...
Just wondering if anyone else is at the point I am with the whole concept of HTPC. I cut the cord with the idea that I would go with (4) networked tuners for OTA with WMC as my DVR, streaming TV/movies with Netflix and Amazon, and ripping Blu-ray ISO's to a NAS. It was OK for a while but a PC as an entertainment device is very flawed in so many ways. WMC is extremely unreliable as a DVR. Often it will mysteriously fail to update its Guide. Then, it will fail to record...
Thanks for this tip! My Asus motherboard BIOS has a feature called "Power on by RTC". I assume RTC means Real Time Clock but that's just a guess. In any case, it allows automatic wakeup at one fixed time per day. I set it to wake up at 4:00pm, before the need for home automation lighting to function and also before television prime time for DVR recording.I also found a feature called "Power on by PCI" which the the Wake-On-LAN (WOL) functionality. I then installed a...
Very cool idea. I will take a look at this - thank you.
Ultimately that might be the fallback option. It really is kind of obnoxious that you cannot 100% safely just kill power to a PC and have confidence that everything returns to normal when the power comes back, like you can with a Blu-ray player or Roku for example. Not to mention, I can't count the number of evenings I have been in my HT watching content on my HTPC when the power goes on and off momentarily. I have my projector, my modem, my router, my two NAS servers,...
If it was properly converged and simply misaligned to the screen, I think you would just not be able to achieve uniform focus across the entire screen. Out-of-focus does not really look similar to out-of-convergence.That's been my experience as well. I focus on program material (like text from an HTPC) not on the built-in focus screens or menu of the projector.
I would not accept it. One pixel misconvergence is acceptble in my opinion, but not more. I would consult Panasonic Service to see what their policy on this is (it may have also been discussed in the past in this thread, but better to get up-to-date information). I don't know what service region you are in, but I have had pretty good experiences with Heartland Services. They are a major Panasonic service partner.