or Connect

Posts by Jonathan Teller

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Paradigm doesn't really make the generation (v.#) clear on their website. I know that, in the past, when a new generation came out, they really did not make it clear what had changed in the design and all of their pull-quotes from reviews and such remained from older versions of the speakers. I also know that they'll sometimes implement small changes in the middle of a particular generation's life-cycle without updating the version...
So I've lost track and I don't trust my local dealer to tell me the truth What are the generation numbers for the various Paradigm series now and when will the new generations be coming out (if you happen to know)? Cinema Monitor Special Edition Millenia Studio Signature Those are the series in which I'm interested and I'd like to know what V.? each series is on now and when the next V.? is coming out. Thanks so much for any help!
I'm not "misinformed" about the EX500 Sony. I brought it home, did a full calibration with ChromaPure, separate settings for my dark theatre and my well-lit living room. It's a horrible-looking TV. I get that there are people who think it looks great. You can find people who say that about any given display. If you sit really far away and have very bright lighting, a lot of the problems are masked and this is actually a fairly common viewing environment. But in a...
Sorry to the Sony fans here, but the EX500 and EX700 are some of the worst TVs I've ever seen! The backlighting on both is incredibly uneven, with the EX500 being even worse than the already bad EX700. Bright corners, bright edges, clouding, an extremely visible purple tinge, there's just so much wrong here. Off-angle performance is horrendous. The EX500 washes out from even just a mild angle. The EX700 from off-angle is so bad that the far side appears white! I...
To everyone who's said, "thanks", you are all most welcome @Gurt I didn't bring home the edge-lit LED Samsung 55C8000 because, by that point, I had tried the Sony HX701 and knew that a glossy screen just wasn't going to work for me, personally. I do agree that Samsung's LCD displays, in general, look better in the store than LG's non-local-dimming models. The blacks appear deeper, the corners do not appear to be as drastically brighter as they do on the LGs and...
I went through bringing home 4 other LCD displays until I settled for the LH90. It is head and shoulders above most of the other LCD displays out there right now. If you are not bothered by seeing your own reflection and having massive amounts of glare and bright reflections from light sources, then your choices go up. But I couldn't tolerate the reflections from my Samsung plasma (which has an anti-reflective coating) and I am just barely ok with the reflections from...
With apologies to zero83, the LD520 LCD displays from LG are, IMO, terrible. The backlight is horribly uneven. Corners are majorly brighter than the rest of the screen. If you go off-angle, the far side of the screen washes out to the point of almost looking white. Along with this poor off-angle performance comes flash-lighting as some section of the screen will always be a bit further away (depending on the angle from which you are viewing, this might be the top or the...
OK, sir I've been on the hunt recently for a 55" or larger LCD myself. It all stems from the fact that my almost 4 year old Samsung HT-P5064 50" plasma has some really bad image refresh problems now (well, "really bad" in my opinion Most other people don't even notice, but when the image suddenly goes from a bright image to a dark image, a faint "ghost" of the bright image lingers for about a half a second, which is totally unacceptable to me!). It also has image...
So here's some more details since I've been (by far) the most critical of this 55LD650 LCD. My room is dark - not pitch black, but dark. A lot of the flaws that I described are certainly masked if your room is bright. They don't go away entirely, but they are definitely not as obvious as when the room is dark. The display looks better the further away you sit from it. I'm right up on this display - just a tad over 6.5 from eyes to screen so that I have about a 32...
On a side note: In the store, the 55LD650 was right next to a 55LD520 from LG. Even in the store with its bright fluorescent lighting, the LD520 looked incredibly washed out from just a ways off angle and the screen illumination was drastically worse than the LD650 with super bright corners and flash lighting. Given that these same flaws weren't nearly as visible on the LD650 in the store, I can only imagine how terrible the LD520 would look at home!