or Connect

Posts by cmeinck

I had this done and happy with the results. It can get hot, so if your fireplace doesn't have the blower on, it could be problematic. During Hurricane Sandy, I popped out the speaker to avoid any issues. I use mine as a center channel, but you could certainly build in a soundbar. If I was going that route, I'd give some consideration to Sonos' soundbar. Once it's built-in, you are locked. I used Monoprice throughout my house, but spent extra for the center channel,...
I've got a 7.1 configuration right now using Monoprice 6816's along with (2) 6317's. All of which are in the ceiling, outside of the center channel which my contractor is going to build into the fireplace mantel. Herein lies my question. The ceiling speakers can easily be replaced, upgraded at my leisure -- especially if I'm able to find speakers that are similar in size. Once that center channel gets cut into the fireplace mantel, there's not much I can do to upgrade. I...
I'm finishing up a remodel, where they ran a 125ft Blue Jeans Cable HDMI cable run from my TV room to gear closet in the basement. I tried it with a 2006 Bravia and it flashed purple. For now, I connecting it direct from a TiVo Premiere to the television. Eventually, my plan is to move to my Onkyo receiver. I then tried a 22-inch Samsung, which I just purchased this year. No problems at all with the Samsung. I then attempted to try it with a Sony Bravia 40-inch XBR4 and...
My issue is that I'm having trouble understanding what future equipment will use Cat6e? With my previous plan, it really didn't matter, since the speakers were also being wired to the basement. I had (2)Cat 6e runs from the TV to the basement. I've reconfigured my setup, moving my AVR/TiVo for the master to the master bedroom closet on the 2nd floor. Now that I've decided to wire my speakers from the 2nd floor to a closet on the 2nd floor, I'm not sure where the "future...
I've changed the plan a bit to have a receiver, TiVo in the closet of the master bedroom. This way, my Logitech 900 will definitely work, given the short distance between the closet and our bedroom. I have all the speaker runs going to the basement, along with cat6e runs. For the master bedroom, should I have the cat6e runs go from the TV location to the AV closet in the basement? Or should I run them from the AV closet in the basement up to the master closet where...
I have purchased 6816's which I planned to use for RCL, SL, SR. Due to difficulty finding space between my fireplace and the ceiling, I'm looking for a smaller speaker for the center and considering the 6317. It gives me an extra 3 inches, which should help bring the TV lower. Anyone offer feedback on the 6317? Anyone with a similar set-up?
Thanks for the image. My wife and I are stuck with placing our center channel/TV over the fireplace mantel. If we're able to place the center channel in the mantel, that would drop the TV further down. Now I just have to figure out an acceptable height, so that the mantel doesn't look odd and I can bring the TV down as low as possible. Yes, I shouldn't have every designed my house with a TV above the mantel, but trying to make the best of the situation.
Yes, he is doing all of the electric work in the house. For some reason, he included Cat6e cable in his quote, although I said that I would provide it. I might look for another quote and also see if he'd do the Cat6e for $60 per if I supply the cable. If he agrees, perhaps I'll do less runs to further drop my cost. How and when do they install the speakers? Do they wait until after the sheetrock and go fishing for the wires they placed in the ceilings?
Just received my quote from the electrician. Wow. $105 for each Cat6e run with him supplying cable/connectors. $60 for each speaker run, with me providing materials. $50 for each HDMI run and $50 per speaker to install.
I am about to purchase my Monoprice in-walls for my 7.1 setup. I'm leaning towards the 6816's over the 7604's. Has anyone tried both or at least tried the 6816's? I'm going to use 4619's for the (2) ceiling speakers and the 6816 for L/R/C/SL/SR Thoughts?