or Connect

Posts by venkat_r

Eventhough these 2 units are in a different league (9600 is a flagship model and the pioneer is a step down), I would like to know if there are any significant differences in Sound Quality while listening to music. I have narrowed my choice to these 2 units and I am plan to keep it for the next 5-7 years. I own the older SR870 and like the marantz SQ but I haven't listened to other receivers for comparison in the past few years. I am planning to upgrade to a 7.1 with...
Quote: Originally Posted by ehlarson It is the same thing with computers. Most people use computers to browse the internet, send email and do some word processing. A 5 year old PC running Linux is MORE than adequate to do all of that. If you are upgrading your home theater and PC on a two year cycle due to feelings of personal inadequacy, it is a form of addiction. You should seek counselling. I would agree to your statements on home...
Quote: Originally Posted by MickQ it takes just ONE watt for them to produce 94dB in sound (from memory measured from 1m away). 94dB is quite a lot of sound...and thats from a single watt! I am planning to buy a reciever and/or amplifier and would like to understand exactly how much power i would need for my speakers. My speakers have a sensitivity of 88db. And I listen at moderate volumes. So technically speaking, do I need only 4 watts of...
Quote: Originally Posted by swwg I think your best bet is a published study report by some magazine. Will someone post the URL if you know of one. Anyway, I would approach this a little differently. First, consider what input/output will be needed at present, and then consider what would be needed in the next 3 years, like new HDTV, new HD DVD players, the number and types of inputs and outputs like HDMI or others. Then, find the receivers that would...
here is my 2 cents: I checked the Onkyo site for inputs on the SR503. It has enough Audio inputs (both analog and digital) and plenty of video inputs ( 3 components and 4 s video). It also has component video switching if you wish to use the receiver for video switching. The power rating (75 watts/channel) is good for the price. The only drawback is no HDMI but at the price point you will not find one with HDMI inputs. But you can buy an external HDMI switcher at...
check out Pioneer elite VSX-84TXSi on EBAY for around $1000 with 2 yr warranty 140 Watts X 7 And the inputs are listed below: 4 HDMI Inputs / 1 HDMI Output - 1080p / DVD-A Compatible iPod Audio, Photo, and Video Connection - Cable Included XM - Ready with On-screen Display Dual i.Link Digital Audio Interface with Jitter-Free PQLS 3 Component Video Inputs / 1 Component Video Output 4 S-Video Inputs / 2 S-Video Outputs 7 Digital Inputs / 2 Digital Outputs...
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveGrillo If you get the Rx-v2600 I'd have the DVD player do the upscaling to 1080i, and then the receiver would just pass the signal through HDMI without changing it. That's what I have and it works great. Hi Steve How do you force the DVD player to do the upscaling instead of the receiver? Is it done by using component connection from DVD player to receiver and then using HDMI from receiver to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Monty Williams If HD DVD or Blur-Ray is in your future, HDMI for audio should be as well as it's the best way to get the DD+/TruHD audio decoded into multichannel, high-resolution PCM from the player. Monty Thanks for the info. Don't I need to go to HDMI 1.2 or greater for DD+/True HD. I was planning to upgrade my SR870 marantz reciever and was wondering if I should wait for HDMI equipped pre/pros. I don't mind...
Is there any disadvantage in buying a pre-amp without HDMI. As per my understanding, I should not have any decoding issues if I use the optical digital connection between my DVD/TV/satellite and receiver for audio. And for video, I can use an external HDMI switcher. venkat
I believe Pioneer elite models sold on the net or by mail order are not eligible for Pioneer warranty. Hence the warranty must be a 3rd party one. On EBAY these units are a lot cheaper and they are brand new and warranty can be purchased for additional cost.