or Connect

Posts by KC-Technerd

If it's not part of dial norm then wouldn't it be applied to both LPCM and Bitstream input? Whatever this is, it is only applied when the Pioneer is decoding the DD or DTS bitstream. Otherwise there would be no 4dB difference.
Sorry, I've been told that before, but the Pioneer is doing something 4dB different than the Oppo is, and the only thing that makes a bit of sense is that it is adjusting the dial norm in reference to a -27dB level rather than -31dB, which means that a DN metadata value of 27 results in no volume adjustment, and that a DN metadata value of 31 results in a 4dB increase. This fits in perfectly with the DIAL NORM values the Pioneer displays, which are always 4dB greater than...
Yes. Any of the DTS-HD variant will include dial norm data. You are correct that it is often left at the default level, which I believe on the DTS encoders is -31dB. That will result in a DIAL NORM +4 on the Pioneer (and I believe Yamaha and possibly Onkyo receivers).I don't think that a DIAL NORM +8 is possible, but a -8 would be. On the Pioneer the I believe the possible range is +4 to -26.This is where the different implementation makes it complicated. If the dial...
The two firmware updates I've done on the SC-77 have been over network. No USB stick.
^ I use digital coaxial to my Pioneer SC-77 for playing CDs. I have not experienced any pops or unusual noises as you describe when using the coaxial connection. I use HDMI for audio from Blu-ray discs, SACDs, etc. I am currently using the BDP10X-70-0218 firmware, but also have not experienced this with any previous firmware.
Does your Onkyo ever indicate positive dialog normalization numbers, such as +4?
I saw some evidence today that Yamaha receivers also reference the -27dB level for dialog normalization (a dial norm indication of +4dB), leaving the reproduction of sound encoded by a Dolby Digital encoder with the default dial norm level set at it's original volume in relationship to reference level. I also saw a statement that DTS-HD encoders use a default dial norm value of -31dB.So, on a Pioneer or Yamaha receiver the volume of a program produced with a Dolby Digital...
I don't believe this is entirely true. A plain DTS soundtrack (the old original DTS) does not have dial norm at all, and I don't believe that the Pioneer will add +4db to it. All Dolby Digital and DTS-HD variants contain dialog normalization information.My understanding of this has been evolving for a while. It is a rather confusing subject, and the difference in implementation is additionally confusing. The best I have it figured out right now is that Dolby Digital...
No. Your video projector could make your numbers much different than mine. It depends on how long your projector takes to process the video before it displays it, which can also be affected by the options you have set on your projector. What I might suggest is that once you find a setting that you think is working, try adding about 40-50ms delay to it. Audio being ahead of video by about 22ms to being behind video about 96ms is generally not perceived as being in...
You may have an older manual.OPPO BDP-103 Blu-ray Disc Player User Manual (PDF Format) Release date: January, 2014 Page 72, Item 7. Be sure to read the notes too.