or Connect

Posts by alk3997

How much to put in conduit instead? A lot of us would take conduit over additional cat6 runs and then run the cables ourselves after the build is complete. I now have dual cat 6's in most rooms in our house and had none installed before the build was complete. Conduit is the only real way to be future-proof.
I saw one thing in what you wrote that caused me to stop. When you said the "PC option on the TV are grayed out", what did you mean? Normally when you see PC on a TV, that is for the 15-pin VGA connector and not the HDMI connector. What you want to do is to hook the PS3 up and get a picture. Once you have that, disconnect the HDMI cable from the PS3 and connect it to the laptop. Normally you should not do this with the devices powered-on, but for this experiment it is...
Absolutely (up late and could be a video card problem). So let's change the advice to try a different input connection on the TV. Also try a different source device and then try a different TV, if possible.It still sounds like bit errors but those can be generated by bad cards as well as cables.
Otto, yes that is the way the system should work. One of the many differences between a CRT and an LCD (or plasma) is that the number of physical pixels match exact the highest resolution. On TVs you had scan lines and it was an analog system of a beam moving left to right and then down a line, left to right, etc. So if the number of pixels didn't match the resolution, the beam still had to traverse the line and then move down. With a digital screen, if you don't have...
No, that's incorrect.He doesn't have coax cables in his wall, he has component video cables (which aren't the same as coax cables). Really, it's good to answer the question asked rather than making up your own question.In the future, I'd suggest you start a new thread titled something like "HDMI Over Four Coax Cables". I'm sure you don't need me helping you with your thread titles as well. It makes it easier to follow threads in the future if we all separate the...
Let's start with the easy one - The overscan you are seeing on the TV (where the screen is enlarged) is likely the result of a screen setting on the TV. Look for a zoom setting or crop setting. It should be something like 1:1 or Dot-by-Dot. Basically the screen is being zoomed. To me it almost sounds like you have a bad cable and are getting bit errors. How long is the HDMI cable? Since I can't see the video, are the two green dots over an image or do they appear or...
Excellent point Budwich!
Yes, that is the nature of an interface problem. Change either side of the interface and everything works. It's just the combination of the two specific items that makes it not work. They are some of the hardest problems to solve (you think you solved it but you haven't). I'd bet the two Samsungs have two different HDMI chipsets.
"Mode Not Supported" is HDMI shorthand for you are sending the TV a signal over HDMI that the TV does not understand. For instance you could be sending a 1080p signal to a TV that doesn't allow 1080p for input. It can also show up if an unrecognized audio format is sent (although in those cases you should still get a picture). It looks like a 2010 TV model, so the TV should have all of the same modes as current-year TV (except for 3D, but that isn't used here). The key...
You don't have to discuss it, but that isn't what you said. You said, "I'm not going to ask how you only ran component video", which implies that running just component was somehow wrong, even without knowing when it was run. It isn't wrong. It is a valid alternative whether you like it or not. The same HD signal can be seen over component or over HDMI, if done properly.