or Connect

Posts by jimmyjames8

Already have the venerable old Marantz DV9500 and a 6 month old Panny BD player that streams Netflix and Vudu. I have a couple year old Marantz AV recvr that does HDMI and decodes the hi rez audio codecs that I use as a pre/pro only. If I could only get the Oppo 95 or the Marantz AV 7005, which one would you buy and why?
Got one of these about a month ago as an after thought at BB while looking for a phone case. Really got it just to test streaming from NetFlix and Vudu. With the demise of Block Buster and Borders stores in my area, had to have an alternative to Cablevision movies on demand. Had a previous Panny BD player that was $350. For less than $100 this thing is a no brainer but if I was looking for longevity in a BD player, I would look else where. I have interconnect cables...
Interlude: "What am I missing? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The BIG question is "what does it do that my $499 OPPO BDP-83 won't do for $5,500 less?" It has REFERENCE SOUND QUALITY. Something the Oppo can't come close to. If this player lives up to the hype and the price tag, I could see it replacing my SA11S2, Panny 55 and DV9500. Three boxes down to one would be very nice. The current specs for the 9004...
Accessories4less.com, 6thAveElectronics.com
You miss my point about the firmware. Either Panny didn't get it right to start with and still don't have it right or the studios don't have it right. If I was Panny and I was sure that my firmware was per the BD spec, I wouldn't bother trying to make my machines read discs that did not conform to the standard. The fact that Panny keeps releasing firmware updates makes me think that they shipped machines that did not conform to the BD specs and still don't. As why I do...
I went Marantz on this purchase because I wanted a pre/pro that decodes the new Hi Bit codecs, didn't want to wait on Outlaw, didn't want to spend $2000+ and I own and have owned several pieces of Marantz gear. Marantz seems to always sound better when compared to other mfrs at the same price point
The ones I downloaded and burned mostly won't even load. The one that did load, started the update process and then locked up my player. I had to leave it powered down for 24 hrs and then did the 3 button hard boot to get it back. Er, the BD Live feature was supposed to be a selling point of this player. Either Panny got it wrong or the studios got it wrong. Since panny is creating firmware updates, then I would have to assume they got it wrong. I don't give a crap...
I have had my 55 for 6 months now. Have never been able to get a single downloaded firmware update to work. One such try locked up my player for 24hrs before I could get it to reboot. Just got rev.7 disc from Panny after a month. No way I am even going to try an load this disc unless I have a problem watching a movie. I just requested the Mar31 update disc. Will see how long that takes to come in. Looks like to me either Panny 55 does not conform to BD specs or all...
Thanks for the heads up. I never got the last update disc from Panny support. I downloaded the last update but it locked up my player. I just requested the latest update disc. If Panny does not send me this one I am going to have a chat with Crutchfield and see if they can help me out with Panny support.
Check out Accessories4less.com. They have factory certified refurbs and some new Marantz gear. That is where I got my 5003. Also check amusicdirect.com for new and demo Marantz gear.