or Connect

Posts by BiggAW

If they're using 192kbps, they must suck at encoding, as that's plenty of bitrate to make it sound really good. Maybe they're using way less than that...
Lossess makes no sense given the curve of the compression vs. how good something sounds. It's not the storage of the files, it's the bandwidth, and what experience end users will have with that bandwidth. Netflix and Vudu have done an incredible job balancing bandwidth vs. quality (Netflix slightly more towards bandwidth, Vudu towards quality), and it sounds like Amazon and iTunes have almost caught up as well.
All the Netflix SuperHD that I've seen (admittedly, I don't watch Netflix much) has been very good. I'm not claiming that it's HDX/Blu-ray quality, but it's pretty darn good, and incredibly sharp. I haven't seen recent iTunes stuff, so I can't compare there. Last time I used iTunes, their quality was way below HDX/Blu-ray, but I've heard it's gone way up. I can't stand renting from Apple, as their remote sucks... it's almost impossible to use. Roku's remote is RF, and...
Uh, yeah, I'm not opening up my N64. It's in like-new condition, and I'm going to keep it that way. I tried to run it through my DVDO EDGE Green, only to find out that the EDGE Green doesn't support 240p, so now I have this cheap Monoprice converter doing the composite 240p-HDMI 1080p conversion. There's probably something better out there, it's just not really worth dumping more money into something that's so rarely used... The Wii goes through the DVDO EDGE with...
What? Their SuperHD looks amazing. It might not be quite VUDU HDX/Blu-Ray quality, but it looks really, really good. There will eventually be a 4K disc format out, but for now, it's all on streaming, and supposedly it looks really good (although very few people have actually seen it...). Since Netflix and that giant Sony Hockey Puck looking thing are the only 4K sources right now, we don't really have anything to compare them to.
Your screen is too small according to THX. http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/hdtv-set-up/ They are assuming Blu-Ray quality content. Personally, my TV is a bit small for their sizing guidelines, but it's about as close as I can tolerate with highly compressed cable content...
I'm excited for this, even though it kind of sucks to buy a doomed console just for a couple of games (or one if Mario Party never comes out).The remakes of old tracks are always interesting, even if they're not exactly like the original one. It's nice to see them more often than the N64 gets pulled out. I've noticed that on a modern 1080p TV, the N64 looks like CRAP. No amount of video processing will help that thing.
I love the Wii, only because it has Mario Kart and Mario Party, but as a piece of hardware and an ecosystem, what a POS. They should have supported HD via HDMI port. Now the Wii is this bizarre dinosaur that needs component video. It's the only device I have that needs component, everything else is composite or HDMI. Yay for standardizing everything on HDMI-NOT! The online account system is a disaster. The Wii Mini evokes a strong reaction of "WTF were they thinking?"...
Yes, you can process the audio to fit whatever you have. 10.x to 11.x would be easy. And for the foreseeable future, most content will still be delivered at 5.1. "gold standard" 22.2? AFAIK, there is no consumer grade 22.2 gear even available yet, nor any content source for it...
4K is 15.9mbps. So your connection could handle three 4K streams. And as of now, Comcast is not enforcing the bandwidth cap in most areas...