or Connect

Posts by gsearles

Love it once the screen wall is up. Gives you a good feel for the size and scope of the screen! Feels just right to me. The opening is exactly the size of the screen, the frame will attach to the surrounding wood. Screen will be 130" wide 2.25:1 from Seymour AV. Cinema XD fabric.
That's exactly what we're doing - building a bracket down from the soffit. It will hold the speaker at a downward angle, just put in from of the double heavy navy drapes that will block the windows.Will post some pics when that's done next week. And yes for real extreme need I'm planning to have some sort of styrofoam plug for the windows if the drapes alone don't quite cut it...
Interesting idea there for sure. Particularily if one is width challenged I would definitely think that would be a good option. Would prefer in walls even, but no go there in my case due to the window obviously. The sad thing is that I essentially had a blank canvas and 750 square feet to work with for two rooms. I never should have somehow screwed myself into a suboptimal surround setup. Sigh. Realistically I think I'll be happy with the setup when it's done anyway....
Hmmm, read some reviews on the Denon. Sounds like it's sonically very good but still the type of problems that annoy me: Complicated setup Menu difficult to navigate Remote not backlit, missing some functions No satellite radio Sluggish app interface I think I'll try Pioneer Elite this time. Sounds like it's *very* polished. (and looks sweet)
Yeah I hadn't realized how full featured the Denon 3000 series had become. Two subwoofer outputs would be nice. Im looking add adding a second. That 3312 looks great. Has Denon improved their user interfaces at all? My 3806 is awful in that regard.
Happy to have decided to upgrade my aging Denon 3806 receiver. It will stay with the current theater when we sell it. The leading candidate for replacing it is the Pioneer Elite VSX-53. I like the sound of the Elites and intrigued by many of the new features it offers. All the Apple stuff in particular and the two HDMI outputs (which I want so that I can show the same programming at the bar in the next room simultaneously). Also like what I've read about the Yamaha...
Personally I'd go for on-wall speakers with a main on either side of the TV and a center channel below. For surrounds I'd put one each in the upper corners behind you. Problems are running the wires and timing. Does your receiver have a setup routine that can compensate for speakers and different distances from the listening area? Can you access the walls from behind to help bury speaker wire? Are you willing to cut in to them? What's your total budget for 5 speakers...
Windows will have special Hunter Douglas blackout blinds in a dark color. Yep door is set and too late to change now. Starting over I might have had it a foot or so towards the front of the room but it bisects it nicely as is.
And now my one significant problem, the side surrounds. I knew where the window was going to be, but I thought I could easily put the surrounds over top of them. What I hadn't taken into account was the size of the windows per se (they are very large) and I have simultaneously planned for a soffit around the perimiter to house electrical, pots, wiring, conduit to front, and to put indirect lighting in around the inside. Once that goes up, there's nowhere near enough...