or Connect

Posts by Yoma44

I just wanted to jump in and say THANKS for the replies so far. I'm taking them into consideration and still working out the designs. Any further ideas are still welcome. Thanks!
I'm contemplating putting two small[er] screens (I drew in 100" screens just for theory, but I'll probably use a 50 or 60" screen) next to my big screen in my new theater room I'm building. I use secondary screens for a number of things. Dual monitors for work on PC, co-op Xbox gaming with my brothers and friends, and for when my wife wants to watch Modern Family while I'm playing Far Cry 3. Also, a couple driving games might be pretty awesome on it if I hooked up all...
Thanks for the input, guys. Think it'd feel like a step up to go from the Denon 2310 to the Onkyo TX-NR1008? Does it have as much of a "likeability" factor? The menus, ease of use, etc.
That's kind of what I thought. Yeah, I wouldn't want the height speakers to just mirror the front speakers. *sigh* I like the sound from this receiver, but I wonder how much I'd have to spend to upgrade to a comparable receiver that could do all 9.1 (7.1 + 2 height).Ah, the perspective of the camera may have made that confusing. Here's a top down shot of my layout. I think the placement is probably pretty good for the ceiling speakers.
So, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. There's no way I can use the 2310ci for 9 speakers? Even using Speaker A+B configs? I just set up my room with 9 speakers (wide speakers didn't work out). I did 7.1 + Height speakers.I set up a macro on my remote that goes through and switches Amp Assign from 5.1+H to 7.1. Sure the balancing isn't quite exact, but my back speakers are about the same distance from my height speakers, so I just hit the macro...
Thanks for the responses so far. I forgot to mention that I already wired the room for 9.1 (7.1 + heights) including in-ceiling speakers for the back 4. I'm actually thinking, what can I do in case my 'builder' friend comes through for me eventually with the custom built speaker set. He does this stuff pro for big companies, and would be doing it as a favor. I thought - might be cool to just buy a used or discount set for now, so that in case that happens, I can...
I have a custom built sub and it's amazing. I've been waiting for that same builder to build me the rest of the speakers for over a year, and I don't think it's going to happen. So, is $2000 a good budget for these speakers? Here are some pics with my layout and dimensions. I was thinking of going with 9 speakers even though my receiver (DENON AVR-2310ci) only does 7 at a time. I've been switching back and forth between height and rear speakers depending on...
I've been switching back and forth here for a few weeks. I can't really say that I distinguish anything different height-wise (spatially), but the sound up front does sound 'fuller'. Then I set up a macro to switch to 7.1 and manually walk the height speakers around to be back speakers. Now I feel like there's more going on behind me, and all speakers feel like they're on a single plane. I can't say which is 'better'. Really all it makes me want is a true 9.1...
I can't remember when I last saw this movie, but this review made me curious enough to go check it out again. Thanks! I actually do think it's refreshing to see a movie with a positive take on spirituality, or especially, Christianity.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tulpa FWIW, I also went from a 7.1 with back surrounds to a 5.1 with front heights (technically, should be called a 7.1 heights, as the two heights count as channels.) Like it better? I've been messing with it, and I suspect I'm hearing a more full sound up front, but I'm not really sure I'm telling the difference yet. But in 7.1 I know I'm hearing stuff behind me, but that doesn't mean I like that...