or Connect

Posts by hometheaterdoc

read further back in this thread.... I've already posted my thoughts.... err.... actually scott posted some of my thoughts and I confirmed them
For the Luxus Deluxe Screenwall (which I like quite a bit more than the non deluxe screenwall), MSRP is $2336 for a 123" in any of the various fabrics, including studiotek.....
there are import duties... that's part of the reason why the MSRP in Canada for Paradigm is less than what the difference in exchange rate is right now.... The key to the import duties is that the US customs and immigration officials are more concerned with other things than enforcing the duty on a speaker purchase... it's hit or miss, though...... you might get lucky and waived through, you might have to pay the duties.....
Usher Audio's entry level series is absolutely stellar for the money and is under your budget..... S-520 bookshelfs and S-525 center work in a pretty good sized room.... for extra ooomph, definitely look at the V series... the V-9845 is one heck of a "bookshelf" speaker.... mate it with the HT-1 center channel and V-9801s for surrounds....www.usheraudio.com the S-520s work insanely well with even entry level digital receivers. The Kenwood 7100 and the Panasonic...
good luck seeing it... hopefully someone who actually owns it will allow you to demo at their home..... I'm doubtful any dealer has it on display for the very reason you seem to be alluding to.... use up their time to see it and confirm it is right for you only to then buy cheaper elsewhere.....
Phase Technology makes an inwall version of the premier collection speaker that is an absolutely stellar inwall speaker. There have been several reviews of it... Phase Technology makes extremely good sounding stuff for not a whole lot of money.... they invented the soft dome tweeter... so they kind of know what they are doing.... www.phasetech.com there is also a brand new onwall speaker coming out from a company I am a dealer for that will knock your socks off for...
Quote: Originally posted by Bondmanp www.Vandersteen.com The 2Ce Signatures or a used pair of model 3's are worth looking into. Very listenable, and the 2Ce Sigs would come in under budget. I have the 1Cs and the Sherwood P-965 through a much cheaper amp than the Gemstone (a Rotel RMB-1066), and I have a fair amount of system synergy, IMO. The nice thing about Vandersteens is that, IMO, they improve more with every better level of electronics you hook...
a couple points and then I will leave this... I'll try to be brief, although I could ream off pages on the subject.... I've been on both sides of this coin, first as a consumer, and now as a dealer... 1) Dealer margins are getting SMALLER, not bigger. Manufacturers are trying to keep their products in a certain price category, so that their MSRPs stay at a certain level. This causes three things to happen: 1) dealer margins are cut because the manufacturer still...
At your budget, and given your musical tastes, two recommendations: Von Schweikert Audio..... a pair of LCR-15s is waaaaaay under your budget, but will simply shock you with how good they are given your choice in music and what you are searching for.... if you want you can step up to the VR-2 floorstanders for $2500USD and get full range sound... the complete home theater package from VSA is beyond stellar.... I've yet to have a single person demo VSA speakers and not...
If you're looking for warm: Phase Technology.... their premier collection series are nice, full, and warm sounding, with an amazing amount of detail.... but they're beyond your budget for a full 5.1 package, especially if you want their sub (which is killer btw)... However, the Velocity series still has some warmth, while at the same time being pretty articulate and fast.... Usher Audio - every single person who has demoed these speakers has come away amazed at what...