or Connect

Posts by Rimbaud

Those are all good points. Your conclusion on low level listening matches my own experience, and if I had to list a negative for the S1.4's that might be it. There seems to be a definite threshold of volume increase at which the character of the sound changes for the positive (not dramatically, but it's there). My previous Paradigm Studio 60's were more linear in that regard, although the Contours still sound better overall.I thought the walnut Focus 160's I had for a...
I knew you were a multiple-Contour man - I've been following this thread for a while. Definitely the best thread on AVS.
If price and sonics are the only two criteria then I would not dispute what you are saying. For me, the Contour line has additional attributes that add value over the Focus line. The heavier, less resonant cabinet; the heavy base plinth with the lower-mounted crossover; the ability to rigidly and elegantly integrate with Dynaudio stands (for the S1.4); the multi-layer, super-beefy, damped baffle; the rigid, metal-framed grills that have a very robust magnetic...
If the Contour line is dropped with no other changes to the rest of the lineup it will leave a huge gap between Focus and Confidence, IMO. Unless they downgrade the Confidence in the future... [gasp!]. The C1 is my grail speaker, hopefully it sticks around unchanged for a while until I can afford a new pair.If I had to guess, I'd say the reason Contour is not promoted is that Dynaudio's profit margin on the Contour speakers is the lowest of the different lines. As you...
I know nothing of the future, but the S1.4 is still a strong contender. In fact, I'd be worried that a successor Contour series would undergo some cost cutting in it's design (taken out of materials cost). Having purchased both, I feel like there is a large jump in materials/build quality between the newer Focus 160 and the S1.4. I returned the 160's. (I know, it's a cheaper speaker...)Sound quality could be another matter. It's possible, perhaps even likely, for...
I returned the sub to the dealer. A Paradigm rep happened to be there at the same time, and he said if the signal was cutting out while the blue light remained on then the sub was defective. That was exactly what was happening with mine. The dealer offered a swap for a new Monitor 12 sub or store credit. After mine and Joe's experience I no longer trusted that model. Paradigm was the only sub manufacturer the dealer carried that I was interested in. I wanted to stay...
Thanks for posting Joe. I'd already decided to return my Monitor 12, but this helps affirm my decision as being the right one.I purchased a SVS SB12-NSD sub before this one and found the quality control to be lacking, so I'm a little gun-shy about going with internet-direct (and Chinese-built) at this point. I'd love a Paradigm Studio Sub 12 but can't afford it. It has a 12v trigger option, and of course I could use the PBK I already purchased for the Monitor 12. I...
I tried setting the level in the processor at +7, then reducing the volume on the sub accordingly to return to the same output. It helped some but is still less than acceptable. In fact it's driving me nuts. I have the crossover set at 70hz (I could localize it at 80hz). I think I'm going to try returning the sub. At this point I want a sub that can be switched to full on (no signal sensing) or that switches on with a 12v trigger. It's a shame because otherwise the...
When playing my system at low to moderate volumes the signal produced by the sub will be intermittent. I have it positioned fairly close to my listening position, and when the signal cuts back in there is a soft popping sound that I can often hear. This tends to happen every couple or few seconds. When the volume is turned up (or if there is a lot more bass content) the signal will stay on continuously and the sub sounds terrific. The intermittent signal occurs...
tngiloy - Thanks for tips. I checked the settings on the Oppo: standby is set to energy saving, and CEC is shut off. I'm going to have to put this issue on the back burner for now because I need to figure out why the Onkyo 12v trigger is not controlling my new Outlaw 7500 amp properly. I need to get this sorted soon while I still have the option to return the amp if somehow it is not compatible with the processor. The Onkyo will turn on the amp the first time but the...