or Connect

Posts by sjschaff

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll stick with my XS till more of the dust settles -- end to end with source suppliers out to projectors.
Will 4k inputs be possible via firmware, or is this yet another stop gap doorstop product? Sony will be introducing a 4k media player this summer. I'd expect more 4k devices in short order, despite the lack of actual source.
Seems the object of sound reproduction is different for many of us. I'm in the camp that seeks to reproduce the experience from the objective of a listener in the room where the recording is being made. But given the many ways music is created and works its way to a recording that may be nigh impossible. My typical test for a good sound system is whether I can play all types of sources from many decades ago or over the air today and anything in between and feel like I'm...
I'm beginning to wonder if technology, in general, is altering the way we live in ways that diminish our appreciation of the world without tech. That's a narrowing that seems at the heart of many things we seem to be complaining about. We've become more and more numb to experience, be it the great outdoors where few of our children care to venture, or the great sound stages of the past, no longer places to go and listen to real live music. Absent experience, is it so...
The title of this thread really begs the question: "Is High End Listening Obsolete". I'm thinking that many of us who were drawn to any attempt at recreating the "live" listening experience are an ever shrinking group. And I don't mean going to "live" concerts where both the sound level and lousy acoustic venue shorten the life of our hearing. It's more about acoustic spaces where orchestras to small combos play and still do so, though in limited numbers. If you're...
For devices like Popcorn Hour you'd need to rip the Blu-RAy to the hard drive and use it via a player that supports Blu-Ray images. Same applies to a DVR (once you determine if the DVR will allow you to either put an iso or other files directly on the disc or allow for external attachment of a flash drive or other supported USB drive. This can get tricky based on what formats are supported (both drive and video). Some DVR's only can attach say FAT32 based devices which...
What is the objective? If you're simply trying to differentiate A versus B then you had better be dead certain that the target room is where you're going to deposit one set of speakers versus another, and that you've optimized each set for the correct listening position in all the things that will affect the overall sound (and there are many). On the other hand, if you want to add in a 3rd variable, musical realism, then you'd better bring in a non-speaker setup (real...
My JVS-RS35 works very nicely on my 100" screen in a very dark room. Apart from the limits of the technology (still love CRT's absolute blacks) and display of motion artifacts for some source material, it's more than acceptable. Will take a significant projector at about the same price point for me to move. Have had DLP's in the past (fans are too loud) in addition to CRT (years ago a DWIN). Seems the LCOS type gives me the best balance of quality, features, and with a...
Get Handbrake. Runs on Windows and may be able to recognize your specific file type or container format for conversion.
Hope I'm not asking things that have been covered before. I've a new D2v that is replacing an Integra DTC 9.8. It's only handling audio, as I've a Radiance for video with all inputs going to the Radiance and the primary HDMI going to the Anthem. Figured out much and have been successful at setting up room with ARC. Just a few questions: is there a way to set up the Anthem to always default to a specific source? Asking that since I've currently configured the Anthem to...