or Connect

Posts by ATWindsor

Yeah, but error aren't doesn't happen that often. That the wavefrom isn't very clean doesn need to have a very bad impact, do you have any numbers on how many more bit-errors one should get? 0.1% 1% 10% 100% 1000%? Just "more" can be anything from an increase so samll its basically unnoticable, to major problems. AtW
Yeah i agree, but at the same time more channels makes the room beeing a lesser factor on the sound, so in a way one can argue that acoustic treatment is less critical when you have more speakers. (treatment in lower frequencies is very useful though). AtW
What kind of practical problems should this cause? You can run on lower frequencies with many modules, but other than that, does it have any practical real-life implications. AtW
My experience is that server-mobos often has to few PCIe-slots. It easier to get desktop with many slots, especially many slots with 8x/16x. But at least this is a pretty easy stat to check out
Yeah you are right, for bass frequencies good absorbtion is wise. Especially when you are doing room correction on top. (it's not very helpful to correct bass responce if it varies wildly from seat to seat) I see that my post is a bit unclear, i should have pointed out that i spoke of absorbtion above the transition frequency. I have nothing particulary against non-faithful-reproduction as long as it gives better sound. For instance, upmixing stereo to several channels is...
It's not that i don't care about movies or music, they can make me feel and they can make me think. However i don't see fulfilling some peoples intent as a goal in it self. Of course it can be a very useful tool. If following the artists intent gives me the best experience (as it often will do), then I will try to do that. Lets take an example, i found the movie Plan 9 from outer space very enjoyable, because i thought it was funny. This was probably not the directors...
Server mobos have the advantage of often having better NICs, often having onboard video, supporting ECC, and often thay have better non-OS-specific tools for remote-controlling the machine (vpro or otherwise). However often they have fewer features and higher price than desktop-boards. Also, at least the last time i bought, quite a few desktop-boards doesn't support other cards than graphic-cards in the 16x-slots very well. AtW
I am sorry if this is drifting out of topic, but I will try to answer you questions. I watch movies and listen to music for my own entertainment/thoughts/feelings. I like the result that gives me the best experience. The intent of the people making the music and film is frankly not relevant to me, the result I get out of it is the most relevant. Is that disrespectful to the people making the product? I guess it could be viewed that way. But why would'nt i care more about...
Ok, but this is only relevant with stereo-reproduction then, and only of you are not in the middle of the two speakers or are using different L and R-speakers? For most system i would guess the listner is in the middle and the speakers the same, then the speaker should match? Am i correct? And also, the existance of a center-channel should make the system quite a bit more robust too? So Audessey is mainly doing the same thing as other systems? It is doing volume-leveling /...
I am not writing off Audussey, it seems to be a system wich many people have good experiences with (although the lack of customization is a bit concerning). If i remeber correctly the Source width is mainly depended of sound from 100-1000 Hz, the transition frequency is maybe around 300 Hz, so ASW should be pretty dependent on speakers from 300 Hz and up (at least with surround speaker). In stereo-mode the refelctions from the side-wall can have a big impact, however they...