or Connect

Posts by DBryant

I have had high wattage (even pro amps) powering speakers. I might have noticed a slight volume increase but never felt the seprate amps/pre-pro was worth the added cost. I guess it is all incremental. I have recently gone back to receivers. I use a Harman AVR-2650 in the theater and an older but mint Denon AVR-2805 in the living room.
Your assessment is accurate. Many people will use Harman Kardon, NAD, etc receivers which are generally given true wattage ratings. These ratings may not top 100 watts but they also have a high current design.Yes, there are only a few receivers that can deliver 200 watts per channel. Find a receiver you like in the $1k range. as long as it has pre-outs, pick up an outboard amp to try. I would always look at Adcom GFA-555's which sell used for around $400. Great...
That was meant for a pm, sorry
PM sent as I have an S center and some S36 not being used.
In regards the the S412p's I would not get rid of them or think of replacing them. Those are rare and amazing speakers. Get an S center and some S surrounds if you do not have them. No reason to change...
I think the L series has been one of the best deals out there for a few years. The build quality is superb as is the street prices for these speakers. I just demo'd some Infinity P363 speakers and sent them back. Currently, i have L830's, LC1, L810's in my living room. In my theater I have L820's, LC2, L810's, and N24's for back surrounds. I have built my own speakers, tried various brands, and keep coming back to JBL. I have an E and S set-up going up for sale soon....
I am sure I am in the minority but I returned mine. I have an Optoma HD65 with about 200 hrs on it. I compared both side by side. The 131 was slightly brighter and had slightly more color "pop" but not the difference I had hoped for. Maybe i was not being realistic in the difference I was hoping for. It also seemed to have some "ghosting." Nothing terrible but more so than the 65. I am not saying the HD65 is better, just not enough of a difference to warrant the...
I am not saying the receiver is bad. In my experience with having owned most major brands, the auto set-ups can sometimes mistakenly identify speakers as having reversed polarity/out of phase, etc. Sometimes even high end receivers with very well regarded set-up programs can error. In my living room with a lot of windows and wood floors, ARC being run by an Anthem MRX-300 would produce slightly different results with each time it was run. You can try swapping the...
After further research, I ordered the Optoma HD131EX. I am hoping it will outperform my HD65.