or Connect

Posts by C17chief

Seems to me that when the handful of cablecard tuners started appearing a couple years ago, HTPC's would really start taking off since pc's are now cheap, tuners now exist for normal cable vs just OTA, etc.....but it at seems a day late and a dollar short. Something that crosses my mind every now and then and makes me Once really nice software started coming out for this purpose, there was only a short window of time it was easily useable on even a basic lineup of...
+1 on the power supply. Having a good bit of headroom for future expansion is one thing, but using too little of a power supply's rated power is actually less efficient then having a lower rated one closer to the machine's needs. In other words, it's not as simple as the computer requiring X watts and that's what it is going to use regardless how big of a power supply you install. Power supply's can lose up to 20% right off the top, sometimes more as far as the no name...
For the purposes you listed, both are actually more then you need. Really, the intel "dual core" line for ~$50 assuming those are still around in the current generation is all you need for that stuff. As someone mentioned before, for basic viewing with no intensive post processing like madVR, nothing special is needed as far as current on chip graphics go. Those also have plenty of power cpu wise for on the fly transcoding to devices like Roku and such, serving extenders,...
For my personal opinion and taste, it really depends how often you do that sort of task. For transcoding and the like, better cpu will most definitely complete those type tasks quicker. If I was transcoding movies constantly, then I would def spring for a higher end specs. On the other hand, if it was just an occasional here and there transcode and the machine otherwise is just the normal htpc functions, I would just stick with specs more suited for the htpc functions and...
Never worried about it. Hard drives are cheap and more then worth the cost vs the amount of movies (or other data that applies to you) they can hold. If I start running low on space, I buy more. Simple as that. Really the biggest step is if you horde enough content that you need to move away from local hard disks to a server...but even a simple media server can be set up relatively inexpensively in a case that cold hold a lot of drives. Only real downside is once you...
+1 for intel AND microcenter. For motherboard/cpu combos, they are hard to beat. You can also find comparable deals to online as far as hard drives and ram goes, and to a more limited extent things like cases and other random parts. If you go with SSD for the primary drive....don't forget to set windows to record/cache tv on the conventional hard drive if you use MCE and watch television on it. You will probably use up an SSD's lifetime relatively quickly with all that...
With the video quality.....are you enabling the hardware decoding options you have available and are capable of in the codecs you use? Also, do you have the colorspace matched up between your display and drivers? Like if your TV is expecting the tv standard 16-235 colorspace but your pc drivers are set to output the pc standard 0-255 colorspace, that can make significant difference as well. Some sets will handle that disparity better then others (on my LCDTV in that...
Mine is not ridiculously overpowered being a G620, the on chip graphics, 8gb ram, etc. It actually is overpowered for what I use it for (MCE incl live tv/dvr obviously, Netflix, downloaded content, no madVR or other intensive post processing), but what I consider cost effective. I mean a Celeron + 4gb if not even lower specs will do that stuff fine, but when you are talking an extra $10 for cpu and about the same for 8 vs 4gb, why not. From what I have noticed on build...
I haven't looked at the big thread in quite awhile........but is Media Browser still lacking the podcast functionality like the previous version has? If so, any intention on bringing it back? It was one of the best features of it IMO. It was VERY handy having the latest episodes of my favorite podcasts sitting right there easy to get to within media center. I had to quickly go back after trying MB3 shortly after it was released because I missed that functionality.
Unfortunately no as stated before. It would of been nice if that capability did exist, and IMO would of been easy enough for them to do if they wanted. They could of had the code as part of overall MCE, an in equipped copies of windows have a setting where you could run it in full mode or extender mode. For those saying what's the point....2 that immediately come to mind are 1) Maybe for a kids room/den/office where there is already a computer with a decent sized...