or Connect

Posts by Adam Tyner

DVD Talk got in its copy this afternoon.
Fox/MGM doesn't send out review copies early. Sometimes they'll be sent the previous Friday, but frequently they won't show up until street date. This is the thread Gizmo was referring to: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1264999
The Evil Dead Companion -- which Raimi and the rest of the crew participate in very heavily -- says it was intended to be screened at 1.66:1, like The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. The book also takes care to note how unusual it was that the premiere exposed the full frame since it was at an older movie house that could accommodate. Because of the way the camera was being flung around, I'm sure it just wasn't that carefully composed for widescreen, and I'm with those that...
You still might. I didn't get my offer till this morning.
I'm surprised and disappointed that Mad Men isn't showing up in HD on demand this season. I watched seasons 2 and 3 this way and expected the same for season 4. If I can't watch Mad Men in HD, I'll just wait for the inevitable Blu-ray release.
Oh, I definitely realize that, and I hope I didn't make it sound as if I was doubting you. I meant in the seasons before that...that were shot 16x9 but didn't air in HD. I haven't seen anything definitive stating if the post-production was the same thing (HD dropping to SD for visual effects) or if it was 16x9 NTSC.
It was shot 16x9 all the way through, but only the fifth and final season was ever aired in HD. I don't think it's ever been confirmed how much, if any, of the post-production had been tackled in HD before that, but everything I've read indicates that the effects were definitely limited to SD for season 5. (You can tell that the first season was shot wide because excerpts that appeared in later seasons were also 16x9. I think season 1 did eventually show up in widescreen...
Charter doesn't carry AMC-HD as a channel in our neck of the woods, but you can still watch Mad Men in HD through Charter's VOD service. I'm also in the Greenville market, and I've been watching the series that way for a couple of years now. New episodes generally go up the day after the premiere.
$21.41 at Deep Discount...in-stock and free (but slow) shipping.
Anything scheduled for release before the sale's over is fair game.